B4J Question Recommended Linux Version for B4J Server

cklester

Licensed User
Is there a preferred Linux distribution to use for a B4J server? I have a host ready to go. They offer the following distributions:

Ubuntu (16.04 LTS, 18.04 LTS, 20.04 LTS)
CentOS (6, 7, 8)
Debian (8, 9, 10)
Fedora (30, 31, 32)
openSUSE (Leap 12.3, Leap 13.1, Leap 15.1)

Which one is best? Anybody have any experience or advice in this regard?

Thank you!

cklester

Licensed User
I've obtained a VPS1 account from HyperExpert running Ubuntu 20.04 LTS. I've installed nginx and webmin, both of which are running fine. I have also installed an SSL certificate (using Let's Encrypt), so the site traffic is encrypted and secure. I'm very thankful that all of this was relatively easy!

I'm ready to install the B4J server, but I'm not sure exactly what to do.

First: In this thread, [server] Run a Server on a VPS, we're told to download Java. Can I use apt-get to install "default-jre" (which installs 11.x I believe) or do I need to use the specific files available here at B4X.com?

Second: If I grab the zip files in this thread, [WebApp] Web Apps Overview, what do I do with them to implement them on my server?

Third: How do I tell nginx to give the web server request to my B4J app? I'm using a Virtual Host set-up, so I can potentially host more domains on the same box in the future.

Second and Third might need to be switched... :D

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Can I use apt-get to install "default-jre" (which installs 11.x I believe) or do I need to use the specific files available here at B4X.com?
As this is a non-ui program, any package of Java will work.

Second: If I grab the zip files in this thread, [WebApp] Web Apps Overview, what do I do with them to implement them on my server?
Not sure that I understand. These are B4J programs. Exactly like your program.

Third: How do I tell nginx to give the web server request to my B4J app? I'm using a Virtual Host set-up, so I can potentially host more domains on the same box in the future.
Better to start a new thread for this one.

Upvote 0