Android Question ResumableSub cannot be cast to Drawable

Brandsum

Licensed User
Hi,
I'm using LabelExtra for showing some HTML content. Everything is working fine but getting an error while showing img tag.

Here is the code:
B4X:
Dim htmlParser As Html
Dim desc As Label
desc.Initialize("")
desc.Text = htmlParser.FromHtml2(htmlString,"ImageGetter","TagGetter")

Sub ImageGetter_GetDrawable(Source As String) As Object
    Dim data As Object =  getImage(Source)
    If data=Null Then
        Return Null
    Else
        Dim b As BitmapDrawable = data '<- getting error on this line
        Return b
    End If
End Sub

Sub getImage(Source As String) As ResumableSub
    Dim j As HttpJob
    Dim BitmapDrawable1 As BitmapDrawable
    j.Initialize("", Me)

j.Download(Source)
    Wait For (j) JobDone(j As HttpJob)
    If j.Success Then
        BitmapDrawable1.Initialize(j.GetBitmap)
        Dim l As LabelExtras:l.SetDrawableBounds(BitmapDrawable1, 0, 0, j.GetBitmap.Width, j.GetBitmap.Height)
        j.Release
        Return BitmapDrawable1
    Else
        j.Release
        Return Null
    End If
End Sub

Getting this error:
B4X:
java.lang.ClassCastException: anywheresoftware.b4a.keywords.Common$ResumableSubWrapper cannot be cast to android.graphics.drawable.Drawable

If I use wait for (getImage) complete(result as object) then I have to change the return type of Sub ImageGetter_GetDrawable(Source As String) As Object to resumable sub. But as per the library example this return type has to be an Object.

So is there any solution?

Brandsum

Licensed User
B4X:
Wait For (getImage) complete(result as BitmapDrawable)
If I use this code inside ImageGetter_GetDrawable then the return type is changing to Resumable sub. But it has to be Object. So it is throwing
B4X:
java.lang.ClassCastException: anywheresoftware.b4a.keywords.Common$ResumableSubWrapper cannot be cast to android.graphics.drawable.Drawable
B4X:
Sub ImageGetter_GetDrawable(Source As String) As ResumableSub '<- this must be object type
    tempSource = Source
    wait for (getImage) complete(data As BitmapDrawable)
    Log(data)
    Return data '<-error  at this line
End Sub

Upvote 0

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
the return type is changing to Resumable sub. But it has to be Object.
I think there is a misunderstanding here that is clouding your view of whatever the real problem is. A ResumableSub type is in fact an Object type. Object is the root type that all Object types derive from and has a very limited set of methods that every Object inherits. You can pass anything as an Object which in fact is the purpose of defining a parameter type as Object. If you know what the actual type is you can then assign the object to a variable Dimmed as the actual type (this is sometimes called 'casting') and access all of its methods.

Upvote 0

Brandsum

Licensed User
Thank you all for helping. I just solved this issue by downloading all the images before setting the HTML content via fromHtml2 method.

Upvote 0