iOS Question Running Local Mac Builder via VBox

nypaulie

Licensed User
Longtime User
This may not be the way to go, but i am trying it anyway.
I've installed Mac OS X Mavericks as a "guest" on my Linux Host using VirtualBox.
Everything has gone smoothly but I'm getting stuck trying to install XCode 6. After I've downloaded it from the Apple Developer's site and opened the .dmg file to produce the XCode icon, dbl-clicking brings up a screen that asks me to drag the icon into the Applications area. This then proceeds well showing a progress bar, but then it stops saying I do not have enough disk space. I've tried removing any and all programs I can, even the background pictures (including the "hidden" ones) but I still get the disk too small error. I used the "top" mac command to show that I have almost 6000MB free at the time of the install. Anyone have any ideas? If this is a no-go I will move to using the Hosted Mac Builder service, but wanted to check here if anyone can help.

JanPRO

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,

in generell, it's possible to run the build server in a virtual mac machine (the question is, if it's 100% legal, but I don't want to discuss this here).

That's not enough. You will need about 20GB ...

Jan

Upvote 0

nypaulie

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,

in generell, it's possible to run the build server in a virtual mac machine (the question is, if it's 100% legal, but I don't want to discuss this here).

That's not enough. You will need about 20GB ...

Jan
Thanks for skirting the legality - shaky ground there. Well, that's it then I guess - no way i can get that RAM up to 20 without major surgery and I'm not trained enough for that. No prob, now I will just sign on to the Hosted way. Thanks again!

Upvote 0

nypaulie

Licensed User
Longtime User
Sorry, I think I have misunderstood you.
I was talking about the free disk space and not about the Ram. 6GB ram should be enough.
Do you have checked your free disk space?

Jan
Just checked... the main folder (paulie) has 2.78GB and the applications folder (this is where i think I need the space?) has 1.2GB. How do I check how much of this is free - unused? I used Finder and Get Info for my figures.

Upvote 0

JanPRO

Licensed User
Longtime User
You can use the the tool "Disk Utility.app" (/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app) to check the free space of the "mac" partition.

And you shouldn't install Xcode 6, but the latest Xcode 8.

Jan

Upvote 0

nypaulie

Licensed User
Longtime User
You can use the the tool "Disk Utility.app" (/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app) to check the free space of the "mac" partition.

And you shouldn't install Xcode 6, but the latest Xcode 8.

Jan
If I need 8 then that about shuts the door. Guess I have to work with the Hosted Mac program instead, but thanks for you great help.

Upvote 0