Wish Save As Dialog in the IDE

Patent

Licensed User
Longtime User
How is it easily possible doing "versionizing" during development?
Is there a way to save the current project in a new folder easily?
If not (and i am assuming), it would be fine to click "Save as" and
the whole project folder will be copied (with new name, also for the *.b4j and the *.meta) and the focus of the IDE is on the new one.
In the luxury variant: with automatic increasing number at the end (of the folder and the *.b4j and *.meta files).
:D

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I wonder if a custom action could be set during compilation, creating a snapshot of current project state....
maybe by calling a script or even a non-ui b4j prog...

Widget

Licensed User
Longtime User
How is it easily possible doing "versionizing" during development?
Is there a way to save the current project in a new folder easily?
If not (and i am assuming), it would be fine to click "Save as" and
the whole project folder will be copied (with new name, also for the *.b4j and the *.meta) and the focus of the IDE is on the new one.
In the luxury variant: with automatic increasing number at the end (of the folder and the *.b4j and *.meta files).
:D

I tried doing that too, but it is too confusing to keep moving the current app to a new directory when the version number increases.

Example (wrong way of doing it):
Copy files from c:\B4A\Projects\XYZ\v1.0\ to c:\B4A\Projects\XYZ\v1.01\
And the IDE's File > [Recent Files List] will keep growing larger as each new directory is created. I don't want to accidentally click on an old version and load it by mistake and make changes to an old version of the program.

Instead I always keep the current "XYZ" project in a directory called something like:
c:\B4A\Projects\XYZ\Current\

and when I create a new version, I use Export as Zip (With Shared Modules of course) and zip the files to:
c:\B4A\Projects\XYZ\BU\BU_XYZ_v1.01_20170605.zip
The "new version" is always in "c:\B4A\Projects\XYZ\Current\" so I always know where it is.

My BU directory over time, will have a set of zip files like this:
c:\B4A\Projects\XYZ\BU\BU_XYZ_v1.01_20170605.zip
c:\B4A\Projects\XYZ\BU\BU_XYZ_v1.00_20170501.zip
c:\B4A\Projects\XYZ\BU\BU_XYZ_v0.99_20170421.zip

I can restore at any of these zip files (under the BU directory) to:
c:\B4A\Projects\XYZ\BU\BU_XYZ_v1.00_20170501\
and I can load run the restored project from this restored directory without overwriting or interfering with the current directory. I have a file compare program that will compare the files from the restored directory to the current directory so I know what code was changed.

This works great. I can also back up every day using this method and may add a short description in the file name like
"c:\B4A\Projects\XYZ\BU\BU_XYZ_FixedDbLocation_20170605.zip"
so I know what was done in this particular set of files.

Hope this helps.

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I did... I may be putting something together this weekend...