B4J Question Send and Receive SMS through GSM Modem

kokoroayo

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi all,

I am working on a 2 part project for data collection from remote locations without 3G/GPRS data service. An android App that collects data from user and sends the data VIA SMS to a remote server. The server receives the SMS, processes the data and sends a status report to the user via SMS.

I have successfully completed the android part or sending the SMS and it works fine. Tested ok with an existing VB application. but I cannot seam to figure out how to receive or send SMS in B4J.

Kindly point me in the right direction. All I want to do is:
1. Receive SMS in B4J through GSM Modem
2. Send SMS in B4J through GSM modem

I have read https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/sending-an-sms.35356/#post-301314 but its not what I need

Thank you.

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Can you give some information about your modem?
If it can be configured as transparent then as Erel said use AT commands. Otherwise you convert your data to byte array and follow the modem's protocol.. In this case you are using it as RF radio transceiver in both sides. But in between the modem takes care of the AT commands. So all depends on your modem type and functions.

Upvote 0

kokoroayo

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks Beja.
Its a universal USB GPRS modem. I had developed an app for a friend using VB6 sending SMS with AT commands. That was a long time ago. Now I need to know how it is done in B4J.

Upvote 0

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks Beja.
Its a universal USB GPRS modem. I had developed an app for a friend using VB6 sending SMS with AT commands. That was a long time ago. Now I need to know how it is done in B4J.

This is an old post. I just saw it for the second time by chance.. instead of replying at the bottom, hit the reply link because this way the person to whom you are reply can get notification and get back to you.
If the problem is not solved then I recommend you use the F2003 GSM IP modem.. this way you send the text just like SMS and don't have to worry about AT commands. The configuration utility comes with the modem and you will need to configure it to work as transparent string modem, instead of the default byte.

Upvote 0