Android Question Server, rdc, messages and push notifications

Emme Developer

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi everyone, I write this post to try to get some general clarity about the title of the post. Different time ago I realized a small social app of video games. Each post had a different id, which I used as token in push notification using firebase, and used these notifications to alert the users that there was a new comment under their post. Sometimes, however, it happened that the notifications did not arrive, I think because the app was closed (should not the android push system handle these things, even if the app is closed?). Then did I start studying servers and more. I used a supported online db, inserted in a site on altervista.org, and I got connection with this using php files, because altervista does not allow the installation of a server configured for rdc. To that, I began to ask some questions and doubts and I hope someone can help me.

1) What is the best system for having a server, aruba for example? And how do you think it should be powerful enough to ensure I do not know about 20000 active users at one time?

2) For connection, what do you recommend? RDC or http requests to php? What does it mean in terms of resources on the server?

3) To get different messages, for example private messages on forum, what should I use? I know the websocket, but it does not seem like a great idea in a broad and online context. Another solution can be CloudKVS or Mqtt. Can i use firebase and its push notifications? Or is greater an ad-hoc server for push notifications?

Thank you all, and sorry for my english!

mrjaw

Licensed User
Longtime User
There is a own server in B4J to do push notifications for ANdroid and IOs if I dont want to use the Firebase google service ?

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
if I dont want to use the Firebase google service ?
i dont know any alternative for PUSH notifications.
So my answer is NO

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Do you disagree with @Erel ?
Yes.
It requires the client run all the time to receive events.

You can not send anything from the server to the client if the client is not running like you can do with FB Notification.
Additionally you need to run a B4J Server. Not possible at most Providers.

Sure, it is an alternative but it id not compareable with Firebase/Google Notifications.

Upvote 0

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Yes.
It requires the client run all the time to receive events.

You can not send anything from the server to the client if the client is not running like you can do with FB Notification.
Additionally you need to run a B4J Server. Not possible at most Providers.

Sure, it is an alternative but it id not compareable with Firebase/Google Notifications.
You can store somewhere (DB or not) on server the notifications for clients currently not connected and send them when clients connect (using a service module with #StartAtBoot on client should be the best solution).

And using a b4j websocket server your are free, you are not tied to Firebase decisions (add costs, for example, or cnange APIs for which you are forced to wait for b4a library updates).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
You can store somewhere (DB or not) on server the notifications for clients currently not connected and send them when clients connect
sure i can. BUT it is still NOT a Push Notification like FCM. That´s all what i said. I do not use WS-Solution. i use FCM.

Upvote 0