Android Question Server requirements

tufanv

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello,

I have developed a game which uses a mysql database to retrieve info and send info to database. I am planning to have 1000 players playing online and those players will only send and recevie database queries.

My question is , to have the most speed for these actions , which specs i must have better for example a fast CPU like quad core ? or at least 4 or 8 gb ram =? an ssd harddisk maybe ?

I will use 100mbit bandwith connection. Looking for your ideas

ty

keirS

Licensed User
Longtime User
Server spec is very much dependent on how you are planning to deal with the queries and the size and complexity of them. You need to give a lot more information about your plan for how the game works. Are you using a REST base interface, PHP scripts or RDC to connect to the server or something else? If you are trying to directly connect to the MySQL database using JDBC I can tell you straight off that it won't work.

Upvote 0

tufanv

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello i use php script and mysql

Server spec is very much dependent on how you are planning to deal with the queries and the size and complexity of them. You need to give a lot more information about your plan for how the game works. Are you using a REST base interface, PHP scripts or RDC to connect to the server or something else? If you are trying to directly connect to the MySQL database using JDBC I can tell you straight off that it won't work.

Upvote 0

keirS

Licensed User
Longtime User
OK. So how many queries/updates are you expecting per second? Are you using persistent connections or creating a connection each time the script is called? If you are saving game state or storing large blob's then the requirement's are different to just saving high scores / leader boards.

Upvote 0

tufanv

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you for answering. Its hard to say exactly but i expect about 7000 queries per minute when 1/3 of players online at peak times. I never store game state etc. And i create new connection all the time
OK. So how many queries/updates are you expecting per second? Are you using persistent connections or creating a connection each time the script is called? If you are saving game state or storing large blob's then the requirement's are different to just saving high scores / leader boards.

Upvote 0

keirS

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you for answering. Its hard to say exactly but i expect about 7000 queries per minute when 1/3 of players online at peak times. I never store game state etc. And i create new connection all the time

Without knowing the load each query will take it's difficult to get into specifics. Generally for fast query response the more cores the better. II In terms of memory vs storage then what you need to think about is your database size. For example if you have 16gb memory and a 2GB DB then the whole DB can be cached in available memory and your disk speed really doesn't matter. If you have a 8GB memory and a 32GB DB then SSD storage is going to perform far better than HDD.

Upvote 0