Android Question Service/StartServiceAt reliability - advice sought

JackKirk

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,

I have a couple of B4A v10.7 apps that use services with StartServiceAt to periodically check for certain changes in AWS S3 files.

They work pretty reliably on my Samsung S5 and I have a SMS alert mechanism for when they do fail.

I would like to find some way to improve their reliability - maybe with another app?

Any suggestions appreciated...

JackKirk

Licensed User
Longtime User
Non system apps (like yours) are not allowed to run in the background by default.
Not sure I exactly understand what a "system app" is - one of my apps runs as the default messaging app (i.e. replaces the normal SMS app) on a dedicated Android device - is this a "system app".

Upvote 0

JohnC

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
A system app are the apps built-into the phone when you buy it (not counting the built-in bloatware apps)

Upvote 0

JackKirk

Licensed User
Longtime User
Push notifications are more reliable.

I looked at this mechanism before I wrote these apps but came to the conclusion that the extra complexity of additional accounts and 3rd party servers - which need to be maintained, documented and explained to users - was too much.

I was looking for the simplest possible solution within the "AWS bubble" I have to work in - and came up with simple periodic polling - not as elegant probably but way simpler.

The only real issue is the annoyance of the odd failure of the StartServiceAt mechanism - which the SMS alert mechanism provides a workaround for - and which I was hoping to improve by raising the question in post #1.

Upvote 0