Android Question Set Additional Libraries folder as relative

yo3ggx

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello,

As in B4X is not possible to have separate Additional Libraries folder per application, there is any possibility to set the path as relative to the app?
I have several B4A and B4J apps. When I backup a version of the app source code (including the additional libraries version at that moment in time), I have to backup the full additional folder, not only the libraries used for that specific application. If I want in the future to recompile an older version, I have to modify the folder location each time. Switching from one application to another and between different versions become very difficult.

Thank you.

Filippo

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello,

As in B4X is not possible to have separate Additional Libraries folder per application, there is any possibility to set the path as relative to the app?
I have several B4A and B4J apps. When I backup a version of the app source code (including the additional libraries version at that moment in time), I have to backup the full additional folder, not only the libraries used for that specific application. If I want in the future to recompile an older version, I have to modify the folder location each time. Switching from one application to another and between different versions become very difficult.

Thank you.
Unfortunately, this is not wanted!
Read this thread.

Upvote 0

yo3ggx

Licensed User
Longtime User
Did you setup the Additional Libraries folder like the advised structure explained HERE ?
I am fully aware about that, but this does not solve my problem. Is still the same folder for all apps. When I backup an old version of the app and I want to retrieve it later to check something, the libraries may be already updated and not working with the old version. If I backup together with the Additional Libraries folder, each time I have to change paths in IDE.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

yo3ggx

Licensed User
Longtime User
Unfortunately, this is not wanted!
Read this thread.
Still I don't see in that thread a real reason not to be able to set Additional Libraries path as relative to the app path (optional).
Will be great to be able to set path as relative to the project, but still keep the option to set it as an absolute path
Example:
ExternalLibs ( subfolder of the project root)
or
c:\something\ExternalLibs (absolute path)

Then you can put only the libraries required by the current project, at the version used by the current version of the project. This will simplify backup and retrieve ( I will not use the term restore as is not a restore, is retrieved temporarily just to check something in the old version).

What is wrong with that?

Upvote 0

yo3ggx

Licensed User
Longtime User
Have you read the whole thread?
Yes, but still ... I don't see any impact on "license policy". Having the option for a relative path does not mean that absolute path cannot be used if the developer decide that.
I am missing something?

Upvote 0

yo3ggx

Licensed User
Longtime User
Here is the same Wish from me.
I know your wish, but that means to have two separate absolute paths for Additional Libraries. More, according to the current IDE implementation, means that is the same for all apps, so in fact the request is not even solved. My proposal is to keep current format and just accept as input a relative path not starting with the drive letter, but with a subfolder name of the project (or Objects) folder.

With your approach, if you have the same library name in both folders, which one is used?

Again, what this has do to with "license policy? You pack the application source code only with the libraries used by that application, not with all available external libraries.

Upvote 0

PJLPJLPJL

Licensed User
This is not something I'd want but I understand your requirement.
Would it be simpler to have an option to include all referenced (additional) libraries in the autosaved zip?
Given that this is an IDE change which may take a while, you could probably come up with a solution using a CustomBuildAction (maybe a B4J app to read the .b4a/.b4j file and extract the library references and then zip them into an archive to sit alongside the existing autosave).

Upvote 0