B4J Question Should I Use Scene Builder?

AzureCrystal

Licensed User
Longtime User
B4x newbie here, thanks in advance for any help or insights; Veteran coder with 20+ years as developer, started with Turbo Pascal, to VB v2-6, then ASP.NET, HTML5 to PHP, and now B4x (which I am LOVING).

Question: Besides the neat controls and nice IDE, are there advantages of using Scene Builder as opposed to using B4J's native designer? right now my need for desktop front ends is relatively simple, should I even bother with Scene Builder?

Would love to hear all pros and cons :cool:

LWGShane

Licensed User
Longtime User
Two Pros for me:
- 100% compatibility. (Ex: Some controls in Scene Builder are not supported by B4J. Using the Visual Designer in B4J eliminates any possibility of placing unsupported controls.)
- Instant Knowledge about how to use it if you come from B4A/B4i.

The only con for me which is really a nitpick: The Designer's ImageView component doesn't center the image horizontally and vertically. (The same component from the Scene Builder does.)

Upvote 0

AzureCrystal

Licensed User
Longtime User
Two Pros for me:
- 100% compatibility. (Ex: Some controls in Scene Builder are not supported by B4J. Using the Visual Designer in B4J eliminates any possibility of placing unsupported controls.)
- Instant Knowledge about how to use it if you come from B4A/B4i.

The only con for me which is really a nitpick: The Designer's ImageView component doesn't center the image horizontally and vertically. (The same component from the Scene Builder does.)

Thanks! That was my hunch too but I was curious to hear any dissent!

Upvote 0

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
If you want a modern web design, check out ABMaterial framework.

It creates a webapp that you can run on any server. A bit of a learning curve, depending on your base knowledge (of which you have plenty), but helpful tutorials are being created to help you through this.

Start with a simple standard app, the convert it to an ABMaterial app. You may find this much easier that I have based on your experience in other languages and frameworks.

Good Luck!

Upvote 0

AzureCrystal

Licensed User
Longtime User
Scene Builder support is only kept for backwards compatibility. You should use the internal designer for all new projects.

The internal designer is better integrated with B4J. New controls (DatePicker and others) will only work properly when added with the internal designer.
that wraps it up for me, will keep it just for examining some of the code examples which contain SceneBuilder files, thanks!

Upvote 0