Share My Creation SiteDiary.EU daily project log

Hello,

I just uploaded my app at google play.
It may take a couple of hours to show up but i am too tired to wait.
I assume the app url will be https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.sitediary.client

I ll just copy paste the description from http://sitediary.eu and i will include 3 photos

Please be gentle, its my first serious attempt at making an app. :)

---------------------------------------
Its an Android App helpfull to people who deal with projects and would like to document their progress.
Civil engineers, Archaeologists, Companies that have workers in the field, Contractors , Builders

You can add your projects and keep records of the following things:

- Daily tasks / jobs
- Weather
- Workers
- Machines
- Materials
- Comments
- Notes
- Photos of work and progress
- Payments and photos of checks / invoices
- Suppliers and subcontractors

Organizer for quick notes:
- Task List per project
- Easy Interface
- Record keeping
- Connects with your payments to show paycheck dates
- Connects with your tasks that have scheduled inspections of the project

Reports are created in HTML format and can be printed or sent by Email, Dropbox etc

Reports:
- Daily project report
- Daily tasks
- Workers and days worked
- Payments. Per supplier and project. With the ability to import in Excel
- Machines

SiteDiary.EU can connect with Dropbox or FTP Server for easy file transfer.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attachments

• phone1.png
    phone1.png
    52.5 KB · Views: 4,100
  • phone3.png
    phone3.png
    65.9 KB · Views: 336
  • phone5.png
    phone5.png
    137 KB · Views: 347

aggelos

Licensed User
Longtime User
>>One last suggestion.......

yeah i thought of something like that but i will implement it when the cloud version comes up, and people are working in group.
each task and payment and record etc etc will clearly show who made it and there will be permissions, who can read/write what.

is this what you meant?

Last edited:

aggelos

Licensed User
Longtime User
I just noticed the following.

>>-When creating a daily report, the workers are not listed.( I first created the task, then I added the worker to the workers list, and only then I set the workers in the task previously created)

in the current daily report template the workers are listed as a summary. for example. you add a worker to the task that his profession is electrician. and you add another worker that is a network engineer. the daily report will show "1 x electrician, 1 x network engineer". it only uses the skill field of the worker to minimize the output.
If you want a detailed report go to reports and then workers. it outputs all the workers information and which days they worked on the project.

>>Suggestion:
>>Categorised task icons, maybe even the possibility of setting a custom task icon. It would help to differentiate between them. Also a sorting option in the tasks would be nice.

are you referring to the organizer?
My intention is to use the organizer for things that will happen in the future. like "John must repair tha a/c tomorrow"
the intention of the daily tasks is to write what has already happened in the day. not to use it as a reminder/future planner or to pre-assign tasks .

sorting and categories are always nice but i dont want to fill all the upper space of the UI with options.And it all depends on "how many tasks do you have per month".
If they are not too many there is no need for categories.
when the cloud comes there would be definately some new options related to "see only johns tasks" for ex.
hmmmm maybe a left/right sliding panel with extra options.

I have the idea to implement some new things as modules/extentions which you could go to settings and activate.

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I just noticed the following.

>>-When creating a daily report, the workers are not listed.( I first created the task, then I added the worker to the workers list, and only then I set the workers in the task previously created)

in the current daily report template the workers are listed as a summary. for example. you add a worker to the task that his profession is electrician. and you add another worker that is a network engineer. the daily report will show "1 x electrician, 1 x network engineer". it only uses the skill field of the worker to minimize the output.
If you want a detailed report go to reports and then workers. it outputs all the workers information and which days they worked on the project.

I just re-checked, daily report doesn't give any info about workers, the line comes out empty.

>>Suggestion:
>>Categorised task icons, maybe even the possibility of setting a custom task icon. It would help to differentiate between them. Also a sorting option in the tasks would be nice.

are you referring to the organizer?
My intention is to use the organizer for things that will happen in the future. like "John must repair tha a/c tomorrow"
the intention of the daily tasks is to write what has already happened in the day. not to use it as a reminder/future planner or to pre-assign tasks .
I was referring to ongoing tasks... For instance, there may be a "fusion" icon for fiber fusing task, a "cable" icon for cable pulling tasks, etc...

[Quote
sorting and categories are always nice but i dont want to fill all the upper space of the UI with options.And it all depends on "how many tasks do you have per month".
If they are not too many there is no need for categories.
when the cloud comes there would be definately some new options related to "see only johns tasks" for ex.
hmmmm maybe a left/right sliding panel with extra options.
[/quote]
A long click on the header could be sufficient...

I have the idea to implement some new things as modules/extentions which you could go to settings and activate.

If you go that route, you take your app many levels up... There are only two or three "must exist" modules... If you give the user to add modules as needed, you app becomes nearly perfect...
You could even make your app base free, and charge modules packs.

aggelos

Licensed User
Longtime User
>>I just re-checked, daily report doesn't give any info about workers, the line comes out empty.

you are right. i checked the code and i used a getint instead of a getstring to read a database field.
i dont know , sometimes some errors seem so childish :)

Added the ability to print the workers name instead of the summary.and changed the trieties to work years. i think its more generic.
The only limitation is that it only has space for like 9 workers with big names on 2 lines.

just uploaded version 3.1.3 so it may take some time to show up.

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
>>I just re-checked, daily report doesn't give any info about workers, the line comes out empty.

you are right. i checked the code and i used a getint instead of a getstring to read a database field.
i dont know , sometimes some errors seem so childish :)

Added the ability to print the workers name instead of the summary.and changed the trieties to work years. i think its more generic.
The only limitation is that it only has space for like 9 workers with big names on 2 lines.

just uploaded version 3.1.3 so it may take some time to show up.
I know exactly what you mean with childish errors... I often forget to initialise my views, go figure...
About long names, in the report, you could just show first and last names, and use them as link to workers page, so if there were two or more workers with the same name the user could just check out who it was...
another helpfull field would be to create a "nick" field in the workers page... field workers often have these... if not empty, show in the workers summary... like " Larry the clumsy Jones"

aggelos

Licensed User
Longtime User
hehehehhe, poor larry!

to tell you the truth when i read about the nick idea i began thinking of nicks like "johnny the hammer" "pete the blade" "mike the brick"

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Sorry to bother over details, but just noticed that in the report, the project name has no space between it and the word "project"....
I confirm that the workers field is correctly populated

aggelos

Licensed User
Longtime User
i see it now. at least its not overlapping.
I ll correct it in the next update.

thank you!

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I had a problem one of these days at work that got me thinking about your app...
The team was in charge of passing a long cable (+-700mt) but due to some obstructed condutes, we ended up having to leave about 300mt in one single chamber (not easy task). How does this apply to your app, may ask?
Imagine that I created the task for that day.. And the task must be set "on hold"... With maybe an advancement percentage and some extra notes...

aggelos

Licensed User
Longtime User
hmmmm what i would do......
Create a task for example day 10/10/2014 saying, "today we passed 400 meters of cable. these people worked today at the task and we stopped because we had some obstructed condutes". maybe you want to be more detailed. thats the daily log. what happened. and i would also add that the project is expected to continue at 14/10/2014.
Also take some nice photos of the 400 meters and some photos of the obstructed condutes in order to prove (to anyone) that you really had unexpected problems that delayed you.

when you continue with the project you create another task dated 14/10 saying "today we passed the final 300 meters of the cable etc etc"

I would also add an entry in the organizer for 13/10 saying "talk to the boss to see if we will actually continue the project on 14/10"
Or you can add an entry in the organizer without date saying "project ABC is on hold". so when you open your organizer you could see everything that is on hold without having to go to each project tasks.

a real case from a building construction is somewhat the same as yours
They add tasks per day saying what happend each day.
If it rains or something else happens they log it as "no work done today due to rain"

the idea is to be able to keep and produce to anyone a log saying each day what happened on the specific project.if you have an empty day you can write "no work done on ABC. still waiting for the problem to clear up"

I understand what you mean by "on hold" but my (original at least :) ) intention was to use the daily tasks for what already happend. so there is no %.
The "on hold" part is better suited for a Gantt chart. the Gantt shows the work per specific tasks(not daily) without limiting you on a day per day.and they have a %.

I wouldn't write for example -- task:"today we will pass 700 meters of cable" because i dont really know if it will happen.
try to use the the app as a summary log of the day. Also dont log each small task separately on the same day.
See the big picture. the big picture is that today we worked our ass off for 10 hours and we passed 400 meters.

the only reason i personaly would use multiple tasks on the same day it would be if i worked on 2 or more separate locations, and i would like a separate task log per location.that way i would have separate photos too.

its not a future planner its a history log (at least at this point)

hmmm maybe the future planner and the "on hold" could be implemented in the organizer. an entry saying "today we are passing cable at ABC" and there have a percent, and maybe have a starting date and an "expected" end date.

or maybe a complete new menu for future planning and current projects!

sorry for the long post! some random thoughts! i know that i am repeating at some points.

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Guess i miss understood your app a little... I was treating it as a "to do" task organiser when in fact its more of a diary log...
I will continue my testing according to this "new" concept.

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
So far I have encountered no other problems with your app.
Please keep me posted as to improvements you make on it. I will keep this thread "watched"

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Use percentages... Divide your screen into a grid and then calculate how much space should a "cell" take, the use 10%x or 10%y (change amount acondingly to your needs.)

aggelos

Licensed User
Longtime User
hello @AS2

thank you for the five stars.

I used percentages as @Cableguy said. the left side takes 50%x and the right side is 50%x.
you can create a grid illusion if you leave 1 or 2dip space between the cells.

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
If all you need is a button with an image background, use an image view and set the gravity to full

aggelos

Licensed User
Longtime User
@AS2 as cableguy said you can use a button with an image.
I used a panel for each cell, an imageview inside for the icon and a button inside for the text. set all three to use the same event when they are clicked
for example button1.initialize("gridcell1")
If you set the same color on all 3 they look as one area.
The icons images are 128 pixels and their size in imageview is 16%x. use a percentage even for the icons in order to resize nicely in every screen.
I found after tests that 16%x is the best size for my layout.