Android Question Smart / Partial APK Update

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by Harris, Nov 7, 2019 at 2:13 AM.

Tags:
  1. Harris

Harris Well-Known Member Licensed User

Is there any facility to update your app (APK) using a partial (only new content) patch method?
    For example, new update contains only 2k of new code content. The facility would examine previous existing version against the new version and provide the APK patch to update it - resulting in much lower overhead in transmitting the update (patch).

I am working with apps on devices located in high arctic regions where the only means of data transfer is over the Iridium Sat Network. Data rate costs are high and bandwidth is low. The smaller the file the better... The only other option is sneaker_net, with a USB stick which doesn't provide timely updates to all devices.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks

2. Erel

Erel Administrator Staff Member Licensed User

What is the full APK size?

What is its size without the Files folder (you can unzip the APK and delete it as a test)?

3. Harris

upload_2019-11-7_10-17-24.png
    rd - Copy has asset folder removed..

4. Erel

This is indeed a large project.

I don't see how you can patch updates. You will need to distribute the full APK.

5. Harris

That's too bad... I shall have to deal with this in some logical and economical fashion.

Thanks

6. Erel

Are you using a library with native resources? If so then it is possible that you can remove some of the native binaries.

7. Jaco vd Walt

Jaco vd Walt Member Licensed User

Previous research I did on this subject suggested that the play store handles that for you.

8. Harris

I did not know that...

However, I want to provide updates from my server.

Thanks

Jaco vd Walt likes this.
  9. mc73

mc73 Well-Known Member Licensed User

I have no knowledge of what your app does (obviously), however, I feel if I were in the same situation, I would try using webView(s) and patch "updates" to their functionality. But this can be very tedious and not sure if its worth the effort.

10. FrostCodes

FrostCodes Member Licensed User

If your app is an HTML based app in a webview, you can just download the updates and unzip into the user device then each time the app is been opened you check to see if the update folder has some files, if it does you use that instead.
    This is how I intend on providing on-air real-time updates in my own app :)

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019 at 5:04 PM
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice