Android Question Smart / Partial APK Update

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Is there any facility to update your app (APK) using a partial (only new content) patch method?
For example, new update contains only 2k of new code content. The facility would examine previous existing version against the new version and provide the APK patch to update it - resulting in much lower overhead in transmitting the update (patch).

I am working with apps on devices located in high arctic regions where the only means of data transfer is over the Iridium Sat Network. Data rate costs are high and bandwidth is low. The smaller the file the better... The only other option is sneaker_net, with a USB stick which doesn't provide timely updates to all devices.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
upload_2019-11-7_10-17-24.png

rd - Copy has asset folder removed..

Upvote 0

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
That's too bad... I shall have to deal with this in some logical and economical fashion.

Thanks

Upvote 0

mc73

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have no knowledge of what your app does (obviously), however, I feel if I were in the same situation, I would try using webView(s) and patch "updates" to their functionality. But this can be very tedious and not sure if its worth the effort.

Upvote 0

FrostCodes

Licensed User
I did not know that...

However, I want to provide updates from my server.

Thanks
If your app is an HTML based app in a webview, you can just download the updates and unzip into the user device then each time the app is been opened you check to see if the update folder has some files, if it does you use that instead.
This is how I intend on providing on-air real-time updates in my own app :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0