Android Question SMS Intercept and decode fail (manifest SdkVersion Number)

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by Diego Marcelo Croatto, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Diego Marcelo Croatto

Diego Marcelo Croatto Member Licensed User

Hi... I'm was write a time ago an application to intercomunicate a phone with a device and the program work ok with this line in the manifest:

<uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion="5" android:targetSdkVersion="19"/>

in a new version of B4a (8.50) the I cant compile anymore and the compiler tell me change the number 19 to other upper

with this line... the SMS intercept don't work anymore:

<uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion="5" android:targetSdkVersion="24"/>

I'm using the Phone library and dis functions --> StartService(smsmodule)

Any sugerence?.... thank's a lot

2. hatzisn

hatzisn Active Member Licensed User

Google has restricted access to SMS unless you set your application as the default sms app.

3. Diego Marcelo Croatto

Thanks Hatzisn ...And... how I can do this?.... in the new version of b4a is resolve it or it's the same?

4. janderkan

janderkan Active Member Licensed User

You have to make your customers change their default SMS app to your app.
    I think that to do that your sms app should be better than the default.

Bottom line, SMS is dead.

5. Diego Marcelo Croatto

And..... what is the solution to transmit and recive data over long long distances? :rolleyes: (I Don't live in a firs world country ;))

6. mangojack

mangojack Well-Known Member Licensed User

7. hatzisn

hatzisn Active Member Licensed User

There is also a workaround for SMS if you just want to receive the SMSs and not send. Use the NotificationListener and (at least for SAMSUNG) you can get the SMSs into your app as notifications. For SAMSUNG it is tested and it works. I wonder if it works for other phones also. Please do inform us about that. An other possible solution would be MQTT.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  8. Diego Marcelo Croatto

I need send and receive data (control) from a remote board with an AiThinker A7 GPS/GSM/GPRS module all this controlled over a Android phone. The fastest solution was Sms but... when I finish the project in a 85% .... Google change the way :eek:... I must learn more options!.... Thank's to every coding people!

9. pamoxi

pamoxi Member Licensed User

For example WhatsApp is not the default sms application, however it intercepts and reads sms messages. If the application uses an SMS library, the user must give permission to the application at the time of installation, when asked.

10. Diego Marcelo Croatto

And... if dont ask for permission at instalation process?

11. Erel

Erel Administrator Staff Member Licensed User

This is just a warning. It has nothing to do with being able to compile.

Are you sure that Whatsapp is doing anything with regular SMS messages?

You cannot ask for permissions during installation. Only at runtime: https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/runtime-permissions-android-6-0-permissions.67689/

12. kisoft

kisoft Active Member Licensed User

Maybe Whatsapp has received permission from Google to send and receive SMS messages. This is possible, but you must submit a request to google.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice