Sms send limit of 159 characters?

mistermentality

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm finding if I send an sms message with PhoneSms Send it results in a java error exception and the app asking if I want to continue every time length of the message is greater than 159 characters.

Is this a known issue regarding text size, in app inventor the limit was 160 characters so I'm guessing this is an Android limitation maybe and I would need to split messages of more than 159 characters?

Dave

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The maximum size of any SMS message is 160 characters for Latin alphabets and 70 characters for non-Latin alphabets like Chinese and Arabic.

Many phones support texting of more than 160 characters. A message consisting of more than this number of characters is simply split up into more than one message. If the recipient has a "long message" feature on his cell phone, the cell phone will join the messages and display them as one. Otherwise, they are received as separate texts

A wild guess about Androids apparent 159 character limit is that either it's an "off-by-one" bug and/or the 160th character is being used to hold the message length.

Upvote 0

mistermentality

Licensed User
Longtime User
Ah I see what you mean. So I should write a routine to split the messages into multiple texts or figure out how to send mms texts.

Thank you :)

Dave

Upvote 0

iabros

I try send SMS morethan 160 characters on API V14 and above work fine but below API V14 don't work on emulator my question is same result on physical Device Android v. 2.3.1
Waiting your reply

Upvote 0

iabros

No problem

Yes i working on trial basis if solved my problem then i purchase single user license program US$ 34.00:sign0013:

Upvote 0