Android Question [SOLVED] Cannot install Designer and use USB Debugger

RKM904

Licensed User
Longtime User
I developed an app using Samsung Galaxy A10E (android9) I installed it on an older HTC Desire 510 (Android 4.4.4) in order to test the app on a smaller screen. I need to do further work in order to accommodate both the larger and smaller devices. My plan was to use both devices to do further development and testing of the layout(s)

I have spent a good deal of time attempting to connect the HTC Desire 510 via USB with no success.

I initially attempted to use b4a-Bridge but a B4A Designer message repeatedly popped up asking if I wanted to install it. I responded to install and after a few seconds, (usually under 10 seconds) the installation failed with the message "x app did not install"

B4A forums and google suggested connecting via USB

I then connected the phone with a USB cable after taking the the following steps:
- In developer options - USB is checked
- In security - allow installation of unknown apps is checked
- Following the suggestions in:
https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/b4a-designer-not-installed.109948/ and
I downloaded the Designer9.apk and copied to "c:\Program Files(x86)\Anywhere Software\Basic4Android." I'm not certain that this is the correct location but the advice was to copy to the installation folder and I assumed it was the B4A installation folder.
- I updated the HTC USB driver

The phone when connected via USB (with Bridge NOT Connected) makes the connection and I can browse files on the device from my PC but it appears that designer is not installed and I am unable to view any of the layouts on the HTC phone when connected via USB.

Have I missed an important step and/or are there settings in B4A that need to be changed to enable USB debugging?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
RKM

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
I downloaded the Designer9.apk and copied to "c:\Program Files(x86)\Anywhere Software\Basic4Android." I'm not certain that this is the correct location but the advice was to copy to the installation folder and I assumed it was the B4A installation folder
That's true.

Are you able to run your app on the HTC phone?

Upvote 0

RKM904

Licensed User
Longtime User
Install Designer9.apk with the same method and then use B4A-Bridge for development.
Thanks for your response Do you mean copy the Designer9.apk to the HTC via USB, and if so, to where in the HTC should I copy it? Apologies for being a bit slow on some of this, but I've been reading and experimenting so much with this over the last couple of days I'm becoming a bit lost.

Upvote 0

RKM904

Licensed User
Longtime User
That is correct.
summary Update:
- When HTC connected with bridge the designer repeatedly tried to install without any success (post #1)
- I turned bridge off and connected with a USB (connection is working and can see the HTC files from the PC,) as per several suggestions in other threads
- With usb connection in place and usb debugging checked in developer options (post #1) when I attempt to compile the error is "Device not found use bridge"
- Copied the app.apk to HTC "internal storage\android\data\" and the app runs
- As per post #4 copied the designer apk to the same HTC folder "internal storage\android\data\" (don't know if this the correct installation folder)
- Disconnected USB and connected via bridge as per post # 4
- Designer attempts to install but fails with "X app not installed message" which puts me back to where I began ..............

Any suggestions or advice would be immensely appreciated.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RKM904

Licensed User
Longtime User
That is correct.
summary Update:
- When HTC connected with bridge the designer repeatedly tried to install without any success (post #1)
- I turned bridge off and connected with a USB (connection is working and can see the HTC files from the PC,) as per several suggestions in other threads
- With usb connection in place and usb debugging checked in developer options (post #1) when I attempt to compile the error is "Device not found use bridge"
- Copied the app.apk to HTC "internal storage\android\data\" and the app runs
- As per post #4 copied the designer apk to the same HTC folder "internal storage\android\data\" (don't know if this the correct installation folder)
- Disconnected USB and connected via bridge as per post # 4
- Designer attempts to install but fails with "X app not installed message" which puts me back to where I began ..............

Any suggestions or advice would be immensely appreciated.

Upvote 0

RKM904

Licensed User
Longtime User
Erel,
Thank you very much for your help. I now have the HTC Desire 510 up and working correctly in both Bridge and USB mode.
The steps that appear to have resolved the issue were;

uninstalled and reinstalled HTC sync mode with the latest version
downloaded and installed the latest USB driver available for the HTC Desire 510 from HTC support site
downloaded and copied Designer9.apk to installation folder (had done this previously but prior to the USB driver update so felt it probably wouldn't hurt.

I can now both run designer and can install to the HTC in both Bridge and USB mode.

I will mark the thread as [SOLVED]

Upvote 0