Android Question [Solved] Logs no longer showing over USB, but do over B4A-Bridge

swChef

Licensed User
Longtime User
I updated to 9.80, java11, androidX, did jetify, etc followed the instructions.
Have rebooted phone, PC, renamed app, tried several. Checked for a developer option logs enable setting. Turned off dev options, back on, reselected all necessary options.
Did not get anything showing in the Logs window except for: Logger connected to: LGH872d8eaxx5b
After I loaded an app via B4A-Bridge, then Logs would show via the bridge, but still don't via USB.
Can install an app, and can debug an app, over USB.
Been using this phone for a couple years, no issues prior, several B4A releases used.
Tried another phone, still only: Logger connected to: LGH872da28xx31
Tried going back to the earlier java. No change.
Probably forgetting a thing or two I tried.

swChef

Licensed User
Longtime User
Installed Android Studio. Logcat works there.
But still not with c:\android\platform-tools\adb.exe. (adb logcat) in a cmd window. Nor with the studio's install of the platform tool adb.
What does work is to open a shell (adb shell) then command (logcat). And (adb shell -x logcat) works, too.
Turns out the latest update to platform-tools exposed a problem with LG devices. [last update to my LG device was Jan 2019, at Android version 8.0.0]
gagallow7's answer has a link that works, and provides the replacement instructions to put it into effect.

Not sure yet how to downgrade platform-tools using B4A SDK Manager.
Searched on downgrading platform-tools and found this result.
Using the instructions at the last link (this result) above in stackoverflowuser2010's answer I downloaded 28.0.0 for windows via link, renamed my old c:\android\platform-tools folder, and extracted the zip file to that path.

Now B4A IDE's log window works again.

Last edited:
Upvote 0