iOS Question [Solved] Trouble setting up Local builder with new Mac

JordiCP

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi all

A couple of weeks ago, I purchased a Mac Mini M2 since my old MacBook Pro didn't allow for more OS upgrades. And there is an Apple requirement (April 25th) that all apps submitted to the app store must be using XCode 14.1 and iOS SDK 16.
So the first thing I did was to try to set up everything (B4i 8.30 in my Windows PC, and XCode 14.2 + Local Builder in the new Mac Mini)

My app is quite complex and uses a lot of local frameworks and wrappers, so hosted builder is not an option for me. Whatever I try, I get this build error
/Applications/B4iBuildServer_830/UploadedProjects/<user id>/B4iProject.xcodeproj: error: "B4iProject" requires a provisioning profile with the Push Notifications feature. Select a provisioning profile in the Signing & Capabilities editor. (in target 'B4iProject' from project 'B4iProject')

Error: ** BUILD FAILED **

I decided to try with a small test app, which doesn't use nearly any libraries nor local frameworks. The build process also fails
/Applications/B4iBuildServer_830/UploadedProjects/<user id>/B4iProject.xcodeproj: error: "B4iProject" requires a provisioning profile. Select a provisioning profile in the Signing & Capabilities editor. (in target 'B4iProject' from project 'B4iProject')

Error: ** BUILD FAILED **

(Both apps compile without problems using B4i 7.80 and Local Builder in my old Macbook)

So, for the big app (the one I need and for which there was a deadline) I've used B4i 7.80 (in my Windows PC) and old macbook's Local builder (and XCode 13.2). Could add the most urgent changes and everything seems to work fine, so we are uploading the app to the App Store before the deadline. However, the app is in continuous development and I need to be able to go on with it.

More info (local Mac):
  • Java version: openjdk version 20
  • Local builder must be invoked with "sudo" (otherwise it gives errors)

I've seen some posts facing a similar problem and seems that in some cases it was solved after reinstalling everything in the new Mac. Will try this. But does someone know the exact problem and how to fix it?

JordiCP

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
1. Don't start the builder with sudo.
Yes, that was the root cause! Although creating a new project threw the same results. The reason is (I guess) the 'sudo'

If, for any reason, the builder is first used with sudo (which I possibly did because there had been some error before), then it will no longer run without sudo, and (running with sudo) it will always throw the error reported in the first post, among others.

So the solution (at least in my case) is to reinstall the Local Builder from scratch. or even simpler: manually delete the Local Builder's 'logs' (without doing it you won't even be able to start it) and the 'UploadedProjects' folders (they were created with privileges and an unprivileged 'java -jar B4iBuildServer.jar' will throw errors when trying to access them).
Then it will run with no issues

Thank you Erel :)

Upvote 0