Android Question Struggling to get Google Maps Working Again

dlfallen

Licensed User
Longtime User
My app worked fine before Google started requiring an API key. I am trying to update my program (GPSlog) so it will work properly again.

I think Erel's Google Maps Android V2 tutorial is pretty clear except I am having trouble getting google-play-services.jar so I can copy it to my libraries folder.

The tutorial says to use the IDE to access the SDK manager and download Google Play Services. When I run the SDK manager my screen is nothing like Erel's screen shot. I get a list of installed packages and when I search on play-services I get a list of all packages by that name. I selected and installed every package with play-services in the name but still do not have the google-play-services.jar on my computer.

What am I missing here?

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The tutorial says to use the IDE to access the SDK manager and download Google Play Services.
Really? WHERE?
https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/google-maps.63930/
When I run the SDK manager my screen is nothing like Erel's screen shot

- How is you SDK Mnager looking? Post a Screenshot.
- Which Version of B4A are you using? Note that the newest Version is 9.3. I just want to make sure you are using a recent version. The Android SDK has changed in the last years. The old SDK Manager is deprecated.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dlfallen

Licensed User
Longtime User
I just realized I was following an out-of-date tutorial. This happened because when I searched on "google maps" two B4A Tutorials popped up:
Google Maps
Google Maps Android V2 Tutorial

I assumed the second was the latest when in fact is was posted in 2012 whereas the former was posted in 2016.

I'll try that approach and let you know where I have difficulties. Thanks.

Upvote 0