Android Question targetSdkVersion=29

yo3ggx

Licensed User
Longtime User
Why targetSdkVersion=29 is a mistake and how can I use features available only in Android 10 if targetSdkVersion<29?

Dan

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
If you want to use Android 10 specific features then you need to use TargetSDK 29.
Your app-feature will only work in Android 10 for sure. Not in older Versions.
What exactly are you trying to archieve?

Upvote 0

yo3ggx

Licensed User
Longtime User
HI. I want to use some experimental features available in Android 10+. Just to name a few of them:
- possibility for two apps to share the audio input simultaneously
- ability to capture audio playback from other apps
- thermal API to monitor changes on the device and take action to maintain lower power usage to restore normal temperature
- peer-to-peer Wi-Fi connections

I need to understand what are the potential issues that may occur if I set targetSdkVersion=29 now.
Of course, all these features will not be available if the app will be installed on any device with Android < 10. I have a lot of users with Pixel phones that are eager to test new features.

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Read this important tutorial: android.jar / targetSdkVersion / minSdkVersion

You don't need to set targetSdkVersion to 29 in order to use Android 10 features. I will say it again:
You don't need to set targetSdkVersion to 29 in order to use Android 10 features.

Once you understand this, you will understand that there is mostly no advantage for setting it to 29 and it is better to wait a few months until it is required. It will probably be required in August or September.
We will all then be ready for it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

fbritop

Licensed User
Longtime User
@Erel
Should be necessary to make the update now?, regarding an email I received from Google Play:

Hello Google Play developer,
This is a reminder that starting November 2, 2020, updates to apps and games on Google Play will be required to target Android 10 (API level 29) or higher. After this date, the Play Console will prevent you from submitting new app bundles and APKs with a targetSdkVersion less than 29. Please note that Wear OS apps are not subject to the API level 29 requirement. This will not impact your existing listing on the Play Store.
Read this important tutorial: android.jar / targetSdkVersion / minSdkVersion

You don't need to set targetSdkVersion to 29 in order to use Android 10 features. I will say it again:
You don't need to set targetSdkVersion to 29 in order to use Android 10 features.

Once you understand this, you will understand that there is mostly no advantage for setting it to 29 and it is better to wait a few months until it is required. It will probably be required in August or September.
We will all then be ready for it.

Upvote 0