The 100 Most Spoken Languages Around the World

josejad

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User

What I get from that link:
- Most of the spanish-speakers are native speakers. So spanish is very spoken, but no many people learn it. This is different with English.
- The modern arabic language has a lot of speakers, but no natives. So probably it has some way of standardisation (sorry for my ignorance). I think the arabics people share the Koran's arabic, and every people have his own arabic dialect. (again, sorry for my ignorance)

What I get from my poor experience with other languages:
- Most of people with romance languages (part of the spanish origin tree ) understand spanish better than we understand them. For example, portugueses and italians understand spanish better than we understand them. It seems that in a lot of countries, they see the TV in the original language with subtitles, but we always dub the tv series and films.
- Other languages in Spain are even better understood than spanish (we have several co-oficcial languages in Spain, but sadly we most of time revile them, instead of feel proud of it). For example, I talked with an italian and he told me they understand Catalonian better than Spanish. Portuguese and Galician language are very similar... We even have a very "strange" language called Euskera (edited), not connected with any other known language...
- I remember when I was in Italy (Bergamo), and I could understand (more or less) the italian people spoken slowly... then we talk with a waiter and we didn't understand anything. We start to speak English with another waitres and we ask her why we can't understand her workmate. It seems she was talking in Bergamo "language" (bergamesco?)... not so similar to "spanish" but to french...

What experiences (curiosities) have you with other languages?

Last edited:

JohnC

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Soon Elon Musk's NeuralLink will allow everyone to speak in their native language and it will be instantly translated in our minds, so everyone will understand everyone else ;)

NJDude

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
So spanish is very spoken, but no many people learn it

Actually, interest to learn Spanish has increased a lot it's just that people do not make a big deal out of it.

We even have a very "strange" language called Basque
Better call it by its real name: Euskera ;)

rabbitBUSH

Licensed User

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
First: you (all of us!) should learn Chinese! (but read "third")

Second: the most widely spoken language in the world is certainly Neapolitan 😄

Third: Third: you no longer need to learn languages, just use the Google Translate app :)

josejad

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
if it gives you any comfort my 11 year old grand-daughter is teaching herself Spanish. . .
It’s always good children learn, no matter the language itself (But it would be great they all learn B4X.

BTW, not sure if I understand it rigth and is a way of saying it, or if it’s an error. Is she teaching herself or learning? or is it a way of saying she’s learning with no help?

rabbitBUSH

Licensed User
learn Chinese!
right there is a confucius institute in my town - will sign up tomorrow - then i too can read the little red book - just like an italian trade unionist.

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
which means the you would not understand the fast-talking @LucaMs 🤣🤪
1618698517026.png

rabbitBUSH

Licensed User
this one
she is home schooled and preparing to go on a long long long sailing trip with her family.

edit meaning she is not taught by a live person she learns from youtube and other computer based tools. " teaching herself" is correct which means she is learning by herself only because she is not in a school (as opposed to learning herself - er which could be grammatically correct in some circumstances - OK it gets complex from here . .:rolleyes: .)

Last edited:

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
What I get from that link:
- Most of the spanish-speakers are native speakers. So spanish is very spoken, but no many people learn it. This is different with English.
- The modern arabic language has a lot of speakers, but no natives. So probably it has some way of standardisation (sorry for my ignorance). I think the arabics people share the Koran's arabic, and every people have his own arabic dialect. (again, sorry for my ignorance)

Screenshot_20210418-005304.jpg

josejad

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hum... translator turns “poor experience” as “bad experience” in Spanish...

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hum... translator turns “poor experience” as “bad experience” in Spanish...
Obviously it is not perfect but the meaning is very understandable.

Would you have imagined, a few years ago, that with a "camera" you could "shoot" a poster written in Japanese and see it as if it were written in Spanish? Or talk to a Japanese and your "camera" translates speaking Spanish?

Not many years ago no one would have imagined having a phone... in your pocket, unless you had a cord that was many kilometers long 😄

rabbitBUSH

Licensed User
we have 11 official languages. one is "expected" to learn those used in your sub-region, which where i live is 3 english afrikaans and xhosa (one day pakistani/hindi/gujarati and probably chinese).