The Final Chapter in B4X...my wish..please Erel..pretty Please ;)

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Please make the log-window
a) Dockable (wherever)
b) having its on window so i can place the log on a second monitor

The waiting time will be hard for us i believe :)

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
New Designer Window:
Left side: ToolBox like UI for the UI elements.

at the top of a splitscreen panel the (draggable) view types

at the bottom the layout structure like we have now but with draggable reordering

:)

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
This is not the correct place to post feature requests. It is better to start new threads for these requests.

1. There will be a dark theme and it will be relatively easy to create new themes.
2. All the toolboxes will be draggable / dockable / "floatable".

It is not yet clear when the designer will be updated. I'm not sure that it will be updated in the next version.

Jmu5667

Licensed User
Longtime User
Sorr
This is not the correct place to post feature requests. It is better to start new threads for these requests.

1. There will be a dark theme and it will be relatively easy to create new themes.
2. All the toolboxes will be draggable / dockable / "floatable".

It is not yet clear when the designer will be updated. I'm not sure that it will be updated in the next version.

Sorry Erel for starting this :rolleyes:

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User

don't worry, those were asked before but didn't make it yet into the latest release(s)

LWGShane

Licensed User
Longtime User
@Erel - I do have a question: Why the choice to rewrite in .NET and not a cross-platform language?

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Why the choice to rewrite in .NET and not a cross-platform language?
This is a good question. For a long time I avoided starting a major rewrite exactly because of this question.

However I realized, after testing several possible solutions, that at this point this is the only reasonable alternative. Building a real IDE that can handle large projects with all the features developers expect is not a simple task. I prefer to build a good IDE that runs on Windows over a mediocre cross platform IDE (I'm not saying that it is technically not possible to build a powerful cross platform IDE, I'm talking about my company possibilities with our resources and existing code base).

LWGShane

Licensed User
Longtime User
This is a good question. For a long time I avoided starting a major rewrite exactly because of this question.

However I realized, after testing several possible solutions, that at this point this is the only reasonable alternative. Building a real IDE that can handle large projects with all the features developers expect is not a simple task. I prefer to build a good IDE that runs on Windows over a mediocre cross platform IDE (I'm not saying that it is technically not possible to build a powerful cross platform IDE, I'm talking about my company possibilities with our resources and existing code base).

Thanks for an actual answer and explaining why it's windows-only.

LWGShane

Licensed User
Longtime User
Would love to see a video of the new IDE in action, @Erel ;)

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
The features you can see in this video:
  1. Support for multiple editors.
  2. Go to identifier with Ctrl + Click (very useful).
  3. Structure highlighting.
  4. Auto completion starts automatically and is more advanced.
  5. Zoom.
Under the hood the IDE is rewritten from scratch. The new IDE "engine" has better performance and is much more powerful. This will allow adding more advanced features in the future (like auto-indent and others).

Make sure to see the video in hd mode (press on the small gear button):