The Rise and Fall of Visual Basic

MarkusR

Licensed User
Longtime User
Believe me, i really missed my "On Next Resume" feature in vb6...
Did you mean "on error resume next" ;)
Better use is On Error Goto to a Label inside the Sub. There was Resume Next or something else.

omo

Licensed User
Longtime User
Did you mean "on error resume next" ;)
Better use is On Error Goto to a Label inside the Sub. There was Resume Next or something else.
No! i meant " On Error Resume Next", not with "goto" statement

Hamied Abou Hulaikah

Licensed User
Longtime User
I was in a few steps away to leave VB/VB.NET language because of mobile development era, But B4X connect our VB skills to mobile world.
I think B4X founders should be called "VB Saver"
Why Microsoft is not concerned to connect vb coder to mobile world?
There are millions of vb coders, Microsoft is continue to lose them, WHY? I don't know!

EnriqueGonzalez

Licensed User
Longtime User
I was in a few steps away to leave VB/VB.NET language because of mobile development era, But B4X connect our VB skills to mobile world.
I think B4X founders should be called "VB Saver"
Why Microsoft is not concerned to connect vb coder to mobile world?
There are millions of vb coders, Microsoft is continue to lose them, WHY? I don't know!

Microsoft trash is Anywhere Software Treasure.

And i am happy with that... Microsoft use to break anything they touch.

mangojack

Licensed User
Longtime User
This is interesting!

I also was interested .. as still maintaining an old project on a win10 pc.
After a quick play, I set up for proper use, but unfortunately no matter what I try .. It will not start a new project, load an existing one ..Import ... whatever.

I have uninstalled .. reinstalled everything but still end up with an empty IDE. Can't seem to locate any support.

Any Ideas

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I also was interested .. as still maintaining an old project on a win10 pc.
After a quick play, I set up for proper use, but unfortunately no matter what I try .. It will not start a new project, load an existing one ..Import ... whatever.

I have uninstalled .. reinstalled everything but still end up with an empty IDE. Can't seem to locate any support.

Any Ideas
Do you mean you can't install the original MS VB6 or the VB65 in Windows 10 pc?

For original VB6, you need to uncheck the ADO and RDS as explained here: https://www.raymond.cc/blog/install...7-without-microsoft-virtual-machine-for-java/

uncheck-ADO-RDS-install-options.png

As for VB65, first I downloaded and installed VBA SDK 6.5 (ISO). Then I installed MS Visual Basic 6.0 (Enterprise) - by unchecking the ADO and RS option during installation. Then I downloaded and unzipped VB65 6/23/19 (zip) inside my Downloads folder and Run VB65 as Administrator. I have successfully run a simple project.

upload_2019-7-8_23-14-11.png

MarkusR

Licensed User
Longtime User
... I installed MS Visual Basic 6.0 (Enterprise) ...
can you tell me
if Visual Basic 6 original must be installed, what is the benefit of Visual Basic 6.5?

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
can you tell me
if Visual Basic 6 original must be installed, what is the benefit of Visual Basic 6.5?
Actually I am still using VB6 as it is very stable. In my opinion, the author of VB6.5 created the new version is to improve or add in modern VB.NET features into the classic VB 6 (or VBA 6). The features include reformatting, code folding, namespaces, use .NET components from toolbox in VB6 which I think is cool.

Mashiane

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User

For original VB6, you need to uncheck the ADO and RDS as explained here: https://www.raymond.cc/blog/install...7-without-microsoft-virtual-machine-for-java/

uncheck-ADO-RDS-install-options.png

As for VB65, first I downloaded and installed VBA SDK 6.5 (ISO). Then I installed MS Visual Basic 6.0 (Enterprise) - by unchecking the ADO and RS option during installation. Then I downloaded and unzipped VB65 6/23/19 (zip) inside my Downloads folder and Run VB65 as Administrator. I have successfully run a simple project.

View attachment 81970
This was the best there was then hey..

mangojack

Licensed User
Longtime User

No .. I have had VB6 Installed on win10 for about 2 years with no 'unknown issues'

Successfully installed VB6.5 Loaded an old small project and had a play / appraisal session. All good !

Then decided to 'set it up' more permanent. (ie move VB6.5 from my Downloads folder)

Now It will not Start a New Project (Standard EXE, click OK , nothing) ... Open Existing project (lets me browse ok, Click on project .vbp, click Open, Nothing)
Add Existing Project ... Nothing.

The whole IDE remains empty and mostly greyed out.

I have uninstalled everything (NOT VB6 and not going to) and reinstalled as like day 1 .... but still no Joy. :(

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
No .. I have had VB6 Installed on win10 for about 2 years with no 'unknown issues'

Successfully installed VB6.5 Loaded an old small project and had a play / appraisal session. All good !

Then decided to 'set it up' more permanent. (ie move VB6.5 from my Downloads folder)

Now It will not Start a New Project (Standard EXE, click OK , nothing) ... Open Existing project (lets me browse ok, Click on project .vbp, click Open, Nothing)
Add Existing Project ... Nothing.

The whole IDE remains empty and mostly greyed out.

I have uninstalled everything (NOT VB6 and not going to) and reinstalled as like day 1 .... but still no Joy. :(
The IDE still has a lot of bugs. The author should make it open source in github and let other people contribute into this project or report any issue.