The Rise and Fall of Visual Basic

Chris Tyrie

Licensed User
Longtime User
Pascal annoyed me because I had to leave MASM behind. VB annoyed me because I had to leave Pascal behind.
B4X didn't annoy me, it's just better. It should be mandated by law.

emexes

Expert
Licensed User
Believe me, i really missed my "On Error Resume Next" feature in vb6, very useful to escape stubborn program that refuses to run in some instances.
Admittedly it is not quite as global (or to apply some positive spin: is more like a scalpel than an axe) but I have found that a Try Catch 'Dilligaf construct achieves the same result :)

npsonic

Licensed User
No! i meant " On Error Resume Next", not with "goto" statement
Nothing better than "On Error Resume Next" when used it's like 'No worries bro, I got this' at same time half of the plants systems are crashing as script didn't throw any error just skipped whole script and moved on.

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Some VB developers had also discovered, in the late 1990s, that a Borland tool called Delphi was superior to VB in almost every way: more powerful, faster, and compiling native code applications that were easier to deploy. Delphi’s form designer was influenced by VB, and its inventor, Anders Hejlsberg, moved on to Microsoft where he created both C# and later, TypeScript.

Why this guy murdered VB then created awful programming languages out of other already bad languages and make them worse? :mad:

Mashiane

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Some VB developers had also discovered, in the late 1990s, that a Borland tool called Delphi was superior to VB in almost every way: more powerful, faster, and compiling native code applications that were easier to deploy. Delphi’s form designer was influenced by VB, and its inventor, Anders Hejlsberg, moved on to Microsoft where he created both C# and later, TypeScript.

Why this guy murdered VB then created awful programming languages out of other already bad languages and make them worse? :mad:

And now the big players are ditching TypeScript and going back to Vanilla JS. Wow...

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I don't know anyone heard of F# and really use it.

Why M$ don't want to evolve VB but instead go for another language, making VB a second class language and bring F# to first class?
Isn't VB can do whatever F# can do already?
Don't tell me it is to compete with Python. It will sure fail miserably.

C# created to compete with Java ?
TypeScript created to compete with JavaScript ?
F# created to compete with Python ?

Is C# + TypeScript = F# ?
or is it Fortran# ?

Magma

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
@aeric Well, when VB started dying... first symptoms of not updating and fixing problems, or bugs had... I just thought... will come out the VB7...

but never came...

Then tried Hundreds of VB-like languages... powerbasic, truebasic, realbasic, darkbasic (3d creating was good), every basic and more than basic...

The only Basic liked... B4X... at first thought.. when first app compiled... got a jar... and said hey... that is not a native app... then thought it a lot... and said to myself... it is no need to learn java... and you get java that works in billion devices !

The biggest B4X difference... not having limits.... all known platforms supported, big community - i can say that is bigger than vb, hundreds of working free LIBRARIES, EXCELLENT SUPPORT ! ...

and as I said... NO Limits...