Things to know for a good developer

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
A good developer is a person who's good at reverse engineering reality into code.
Someone who's able to handle any programming language after a few google searches.
One that understands logic and is able to pick the right tool for the job, be it Assembly, C, Java, Python, B4X, HTML, Javascript, Ruby or COBOL.
A person who doesn't try to reinvent the wheel, but at the same time, is not afraid to explore new possibilities.

Finally, someone capable of dynamically adapting to any situation, in order to get the job done.
Basically, a ninja. :cool:

ninja.png

Last edited:

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I don't think that @Emme Developer can answer a job interview saying phrases like:

"I don't repeat myself"
"I am curious and innovative"
"I am persevering"
"I have imagination and practicality"
"I can take good documentation and learn quickly"
etc.

as I read here; at least without receiving a: "We will let you know".

I think that Java and C# are the most used languages, currently, so you need to know them and "all" things related to mobile and web.

Moreover, it is not enough to say: "I know these", you must prove it, having references from previous employment or at least legally recognized certificates.

Javier Donayre

Licensed User
I think, a good programmer is the result of the accumulated experiences during the life. Imagine several solutions, reaching in any case an optimal objective, not giving up, among others.

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
To the question as it must be a good developer, everyone has answered describing himself, or rather how each sees himself.

At this point I have to make the same, a good developer is Italian, low, ugly and with glasses. :p

Ferbis

Licensed User
Longtime User
For me a good developer is someone who thinks as a user and acts coding what it thinks

Andris

Licensed User
Longtime User
  • You have to love the process so much that you seldom look at the clock
  • You have to be cool with the fact that your app won't get 1,000,000 downloads just because you designed it to be "amazing" :D
  • Making a few bucks is nice, but ... (go to 1st bullet point)

MikeH

Licensed User
Longtime User
  • You have to love the process so much that you seldom look at the clock
  • You have to be cool with the fact that your app won't get 1,000,000 downloads just because you designed it to be "amazing" :D
  • Making a few bucks is nice, but ... (go to 1st bullet point)

THIS... and whats a "clock"?

AnandGupta

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hmm.. I follow more or less what @wonder prescribed.
Plus I try to save my job, by serving quick "hotdog" code to make the client happy. And make proper meal in the feedback cycle. I do perceive the future of the job while making the hotdog to give me enough kitchen table space to make the final tasty meal :)

Regards,

Anand