Android Question Tip: Modify code and hit CTRL + s

I am a beginner. i really want to learn.
MsgboxAsync("No result entered","E R R OR")
there's a green on left side, what should i do bcoz i can't run it. thanks

josejad

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi dexlicious19, welcome to the forum.

Please, take a look to:

What is the question? You should post your error messages and your code (as text).
We have no information to help you.

Upvote 0
Hi dexlicious19, welcome to the forum.

Please, take a look to:

What is the question? You should post your error messages and your code (as text).
We have no information to help you.
there are no error messages shown. when is click run, "Tip: Modify code and hit ctrl + s"

Upvote 0

BillMeyer

Licensed User
Longtime User
Let me explain.

On your IDE, when you are writing code and you have, for example, changed some code in an Activity and you are connected in Debug mode, then all you need to do is Press Ctrl+S - (you will see the surround border change from red to green when successful) - this will then only update the changed code instead of going through the whole compile process again - a definite time saver.

I usually do this then go one screen or process step back on my connected device and then re-run the "changed" activity.

What I have found (and one of the experts can correct me if I am wrong) is that Ctrl+S does not work on the Main Activity and also it is not a short-cut if you have changed a screen layout - in those cases you need to re-compile !!

I trust this helps !!

Upvote 0

klaus

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I suppose that you are trying the MyFirstProgram from the B4X Getting started booklet.
When you ran the program, I suppose that haven't done anything on the device:
1. On the device, you need to press on the text box
1589355865503.png
to display the keyboard, enter a result and press the O K button.

This message
1589355638897.png
means that you can modify the code while the program is running and waiting for user interaction.
If you modify the code, then the program flow is stopped, and after hitting Ctrl + S the program flow is reactivated.
Look at chapter Debugging in the B4X IDE booklet, for more explanations.

EDIT: Others were faster than me:

What I have found (and one of the experts can correct me if I am wrong) is that Ctrl+S does not work on the Main Activity and also it is not a short-cut if you have changed a screen layout - in those cases you need to re-compile !!
Ctrl + S works also in the Main Activity.
But, if you need to reload a layout or reinitialize something you can click on
1589357718975.png

to rerun the program without needing to stop it and rerun it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I suppose that you are trying the MyFirstProgram from the B4X Getting started booklet.
1. On the device, you need to press on the text box View attachment 93929to display the keyboard, enter a result and press the O K button.

This message View attachment 93927 means that you can modify the code while the program is running and waiting for user interaction.
If you modify the code, then the program flow is stopped, and after hitting Ctrl + S the program flow is reactivated.
One
1. On the device, you need to press on the text box View attachment 93929to display the keyboard, enter a result and press the O K button.

This message View attachment 93927 means that you can modify the code while the program is running and waiting for user interaction.

EDIT: Others were faster than me:

View attachment 93934
Thanks guys. Another problem is when is finish the code and run it. I cannot input numbers on the edit text box like what i saw on the videos is watched

Upvote 0

BillMeyer

Licensed User
Longtime User
1589357718975.png

Thanks Uncle Klaus - Now I also know and have also learnt something new !!

Upvote 0