iOS Question Transferring a little data between phones

MrKim

Licensed User
Longtime User
Is there an AirDrop library yet?
Or a class that works with AirDrop?
Or a WIFI direct Equivalent?
Can AirDrop work with Beam?
How about NFC. I know Android to Android works but what about ios?
As usual I have spent hours searching this amazing support group but I am always worried I missed the simple solution somewhere along the line.

OK, let me just explain what I need to do. It just doesn't SEEM like it should be this hard.

I need to transfer about 500 - 1000 bytes between devices. T?he app is both Android and IOS so I need to transfer between both.

Here is the scenario: One phone has the info - it could be IOS or Android - this is the sender. There could be as little as one to maybe 50 devices that need to receive the information. The locations where the groups gather frequently either don't have WIFI, or it is not accessible. I don't want the information to go to the cloud, this needs to be device to device.
(I have a WIFI solution written, but as I said that is frequently not available. But when it is it is the simplest solution I have since most people know how to connect to WIFI and once connected it doesn't require any additional permissions.)

I also have BLE half assed working by starting with Erel's chat programs but that means approving the connections, not to mention, at least as I understand it, not all Android devices support BLE Peripheral which means also having an option for regular Bluetooth if it is Android to Android and both devices do not support peripheral mode.

The idea is to make it seamless for my rather unsophisticated users. One person presses "Send", and everyone else presses "Receive" and to the greatest extent possible, the job is done.

I don't mind supporting multiple options if that is what it takes, ie. BLE and NFC. I am just trying to figure out what my options are.

Thanks in advance for any help and ideas.

Kim

MrKim

Licensed User
Longtime User
None of the above will work without a wifi network. There is no WiFi direct feature in iOS (as far as I remember).
Apple has AirDrop
BLE is one option.
NFC is not an option.

Another simple way to transfer data is......................... QR code. You can encode up to 4k bytes in a single QR.
Thank you, that helps a lot. The QR code is sorely tempting, the thing is I am trying to keep the transferred data completely away from prying eyes - hmmmm although I could encrypt it when I pass it. Also, it is so...NOT elegant:(

Is this the one I want for QR codes? https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/b4x-qrgenerator-cross-platform-qr-code-generator.93092/

Thanks once again for your help Erel.

Upvote 0