Android Question Updating App Google Play

Reinierus

Licensed User
Hello. I made and published an app in Google Play and I need to make an update of my app. I need to erase the APK from de Google Developer Console and put the new one or there is another way to make it? How the android devices updates the app automatically?

Thanks a lot.

TomA

Licensed User
Hello. I made and published an app in Google Play and I need to make an update of my app. I need to erase the APK from de Google Developer Console and put the new one or there is another way to make it? How the android devices updates the app automatically?

Thanks a lot.
In B4A, open the app. The current version appears under "Project Attributes" as "#VersionCode" and, if it is still the same as your original version, it probably shows "1". For the update, simply change this to the next higher integer (if it is "1", change it to "2") then upload the updated version. Users with your app installed will then get the updates automatically. For updated versions, you may also want to change the "#VersionName" for each update to something meaningful to you just to keep track of what you updated.

Albert Lin

Licensed User
In B4A, open the app. The current version appears under "Project Attributes" as "#VersionCode" and, if it is still the same as your original version, it probably shows "1". For the update, simply change this to the next higher integer (if it is "1", change it to "2") then upload the updated version. Users with your app installed will then get the updates automatically. For updated versions, you may also want to change the "#VersionName" for each update to something meaningful to you just to keep track of what you updated.
I changed the VersionCode from 3 to 4, but My users with my app installed couldn't get the updates automatically. Do I have to also change VersionName?

Syd Wright

Licensed User
Just to complement what others wrote: The Google Playstore does not accept APK's with the same or lower version numbers than the version that is already in the Playstore. You need to increment the version number with each update.

If you make a mistake by for example entering a too high version number then you won't be able to change that once your app is in the playstore. You can however abort the upload while still in progress.

Once an App is in the Playstore and open to the public you will never be able to completely delete it. You can however un-publish it (and hide it from your developer console apps list using the filters). These filters do not work if an App has been blocked by Google. You will be confronted with this for years to come (by a red icon next to that app)!

Also users will not always experience automatic updates because if the developer has added code, a library or a module that requires specific additional permission then the user will have to give his/her permission manually. For that reason it is good to anticipate what kinds of features your app will offer, not only now but in the future, in order for the user to have to give permissions only once, preferably at the time when they install your app for the first time.

Also updates are only automatic if the user has ticked the "automatic update" box for your app in the Playstore.

In my experience it normally takes between 1 and 2 hours before an update is visible in the Playstore to all users. If it takes longer than about 12 hours then you can start to worry and be prepared for a rejection or even a blockage of your app by Google. In that case watch your Gmail account for messages from Google.

Last edited: