Android Tutorial USB Driver Package, Revision 3

The Andriod SDK and AVD manager dialogue box looks a little different that that shown in the titorial. It does not gove the option of selecting USB Driver Package, Revision 3.
Is there another way to get this?
Does it have anyhting to do with installing on Win7 64?
Is this why I can't find the adb.exe?

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I think the USB driver is downloaded automatically now. Look for a folder usb_driver under android_sdk_windows. See my post here about connecting devices to the IDE

If adb.exe, AdbWinApi.dll and AdbWinUsbApi.dll are not in the tools folder under android_sdk_windows look for them under the temp, or any other, folder under android_sdk_windows. If you find them copy them to the tools folder.

AMC23

Thanks

Yes, it it done automatically now and is stored here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools\adb.exe

Thanks for your reply.
Love this product - just bought full verison

:sign0060:

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
If adb.exe, AdbWinApi.dll and AdbWinUsbApi.dll are not in the tools folder under android_sdk_windows look for them under the temp, or any other, folder under android_sdk_windows. If you find them copy them to the tools folder.
The IDE looks for adb in both possible folders (platform-tools and tools) so copying it is not required.

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The IDE looks for adb in both possible folders (platform-tools and tools) so copying it is not required.
That's useful to know. The last time I upgraded via the Android SDK and AVD Manager, to 2.2 API 8 revision 2 I think, it deleted the adb files from the tools folder and put them in a temp\ToolPackage.old01 folder and I had to copy them back to the tools folder get it to work again. I haven't got a platform-tools folder!

berndgoedecke

Licensed User
Longtime User
USB Driver Package

Dear Android Fans,
I don't know how often I repeat that f..... installation, but i never get the USB Driver package Revision 3.

Installation_Files.JPG

So I'm not able to connect to a real device. Even after uninstalling everything that has to do with Java and install new.. - No USB driver package is avaliable.
It's real frustrating.

What is to do?

Best Regards

berndgoedecke

nfordbscndrd

Licensed User
Longtime User
Dear Android Fans,
I don't know how often I repeat that f..... installation, but i never get the USB Driver package Revision 3.

View attachment 6918

So I'm not able to connect to a real device. Even after uninstalling everything that has to do with Java and install new.. - No USB driver package is avaliable.
It's real frustrating.

What is to do?

Isn't it fun stumbling around in the dark? I also spent a lot of time trying to connect to a device (Archos 70). I finally Googled for "Archos 70 usb driver" and got a link on Archos' web site for downloading and installing the driver, along with a page of instructions which were actually semi-useful. This led to the "usb_driver" folder appearing in my "android-sdk-windows" folder. (You should Google for your own device's name and "usb driver", obviously.)

Next were some instructions about "echo" to an adb_usb.ini file, which I wasn't even sure where it was supposed to be. Turns out that it is supposed to be in (assuming my user name on my computer is "Joe")
C:\Users\Joe\.android

The problem is that the file wasn't there, plus there was some question if this step is even necessary. Anyway, instead of using echo, I opened Windows Notepad and typed in the code Archos specified: "0x0e79" (your code may vary) and saved it as "adb_usb.ini".

I started up the A70, went into Tools - Applications - Development and checked "USB debugging", then attached the A70 to the computer via USB.

I then opened Control Panel (on the computer, running Win7) - Device Manager - Android Phone, and there was "Archos G8 Composite ADB Interface".

I went back to B4a, compiled and ran the code, and it said "Device not found".

I spent a few more hours bashing my head against the wall before it dawned on me that I might need to restart B4a. I did so and it worked. (Duh!)

One problem I have now is when I try to "detach the device" from the computer, I get a message saying that an application is using it, even though no applications are running. So I've just been yanking the USB cord and no harm seems to have been done. Then the last time I tried to compile and run on the A70, it said "Device not found". I rebooted the computer and it worked.

I don't know if any of this helps with your particular problem, but nothing I ever read set things out in these steps in simple English, so I thought that I would get it in writing here. Whether anyone else considers my English simple or not is another matter.