Using a 2.9 inch E-Paper Display with ARDUINO

Marc DANIEL

Licensed User
Hello all. I would like to use the new electronic labels currently found in stores to display prices.
This material has an advantage over LCD screens, which is that the display is almost permanent even without power. The disadvantage is to generate an image to modify the current display, this is less easy than with a classic LCD screen.
The model I chose is a 2.9 inch E-paper label capable of generating 3 colors:
white, black and red.
E-Paper+ARDUINO_UNO.JPG

Connexions.jpg

I wanted to know if the existing library for ARDUINO can be converted and used for B4R?

ARDUINO sketch and library - English and French instructions

Connexions_ARDUINO_UNO.png

There is an online tool to convert images and fit the E-Paper screen

Last edited:

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Even if no library is yet available for b4r, if you find some code that works in arduino ide, then you can create some C calls, kinda of what I did with smartLEDs, a few years ago

Marc DANIEL

Licensed User
Même si aucune bibliothèque n’est encore disponible pour b4r, si vous trouvez du code qui fonctionne dans arduino ide, alors vous pouvez créer des appels C, un peu comme je l’ai fait avec smartLEDs, il y a quelques années
Merci, c’est ce que j’essaie. La partie la plus difficile est de créer des images adaptées au croquis arduino

Marc DANIEL

Licensed User
I still have progress to make because I haven't yet managed to create an image acceptable to the system with the red color in particular...

On the other hand, when the ARDUINO card is unplugged, the display remains constant on the screen.

See the video below with the display change

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I knew you could do it!!!
Next step, draw a graphic in 2 colors!

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
From what i understood, the images are created using the old pixel method... where 1 is drawn and 0 is not...
I bet you can easily create a b4j app to create the inages byte array!

Marc DANIEL

Licensed User
Thanks for the video Klaus, I watched it carefully. It pretty much matches everything I've seen on the subject, only the dimensions of the label are different but the methods are the same. I hope that we will perhaps soon have a library adapted for B4X systems.
I don't know if your question was for CableGuy or for me but actually at the moment I'm using two different arduino sketches, one for the text (2_9E_Paper) and another for the rasterized image (epd2in9b_V3 in the list of Arduino sketches)

Attachments

• 2_9E_Paper.zip
    693 bytes · Views: 47
Last edited:

Marc DANIEL

Licensed User
The question was for you Marc.
Do you program it with B4R ?
If yes, could you post the code ?
Alas no, not yet, Klaus, I tried with #If C and #EndIf but it doesn't work, I get Arduino error messages
If I get a positive result, I'll come back here, of course

Marc DANIEL

Licensed User
Maybe THIS could be interesting.
I read that: "
The RAM of Arduino UNO is too small to realize drawing function of e-Paper. In this case, for most of the e-Paper, we only make the image display function and save the image to flash..."
This would explain why I only managed to transfer a simple image with Arduino UNO???
So, I'm going to try with a MEGA

I need to order a new Mega 2560 card, I will continue my experiments upon receipt

Last edited:

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
why not try with an esp, if you have one... then you'll have about 2MB of flash!