Using APK expansion files

MDEnt

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm wondering if anyone has any experience/suggested code for calling an APK expansion file for additional assets when an application is large. For example, I would like to create an expansion file that only includes mp3 files that would run over 100 MB - and would be called by the MP in the main APK file

I see in the market you can upload a main APK up to 50 MB and additional assets can be placed in a much larger expansion file.

NeoTechni

Licensed User
Longtime User
Android Apps Break the 50MB Barrier | Android Developers Blog

Expansion files have a specific naming convention and are located in
a specific place for each app. As expansion files are uploaded to the
publisher site, they are assigned a version code based upon the version
of the APK that they are associated with. The naming convention and
location are as follows:
Location: /Android/obb//Filename: [main|patch]...obbExample: /sdcard/Android/obb/com.example.myapp/main.5.com.example.myapp.obb
Expansion files are stored in shared storage. Unlike APK files, they can be read by any application.

Filename: [main|patch].<expansion-version>.<package-name>.obb
Example: /sdcard/Android/obb/com.example.myapp/main.5.com.example.myapp.obb

Someone needs to port the libraries on that site before we can use this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MDEnt

Licensed User
Longtime User
For now I just re-sampled my MP3s down to get my APK under 50MB - but would be cool to use extensions for a number of reasons/projects.

Upvote 0

JonPM

Licensed User
Longtime User
Wow 4gb... On some apps I see people give 1 star rating because the APK filesize is like 20mb..

Upvote 0

NeoTechni

Licensed User
Longtime User
Wow 4gb... On some apps I see people give 1 star rating because the APK filesize is like 20mb..

I've found a few people have no clue how to review a product properly.

I've had a few complain about bugs which weren't even bugs, and the ones that are, their review is too short to find out what the hell they were talking about.

Boo I bought his check it out within 10 minutes ask for refund and did not receive a refund I'm not too upset because I am a treckie . this app is misleading and not complete. I hope the developers do something more with it!

1) We don't handle Google's 15 minute preview period. Nor is he the first to accuse me of it.

2) Misleading? How? It's exactly what I claimed it to be

Uh...no Sorry. Wanted to like this but this is bad.
Force close on every menue and sometimes force closes on main screen. Would be awesome please fix!! Htc sensation

So helpful.

Then there's the ones who put suggestions in the review, even though there is a contact developer link for that. Do they go back and update their review when/if you add it? Most of the time no.

I've had to hunt some of these people down using their names and matching them to my merchant history. Then I can get real info out of them.
The ones I have managed to contact personally were quite helpful and did update their reviews.

I don't like stalking people, but you have to take a proactive approach to this thing, otherwise you're the one losing out and feeling bad.

Most of my reviewers have been awesome though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JonPM

Licensed User
Longtime User
No kidding! I get a lot of emails from users saying "your app doesn't work! I bought it but it won't download". I wish people understood thats their phone/ market not working, not my app!

Sent from my DROIDX

Upvote 0