Android Question Variants for big screen phones

Scotter

Licensed User
In the Google Play Store it says the app is not compatible with my device. In the Designer I've created quite a few variants, maybe too many, including 320x480 and 480x320, of course. The ones I thought might fit my phone: My phone's resolution is 1440x2678 scale 3.5 (560dpi). When I tried to add that resolution, the designer says, "It is not recommended to create variants with scales different than 1.0 Do you want to normalize the values and add the following equivalent variant: 765x411 scale 1?" So when I say Yes to that and publish, along with the portrait version, I still get "incompatible with your device" on the Google Play Store. No problem on the Amazon Store. Oh and I'm using anchors and it does look great on my phone.

So I wonder if it is that OR if it is the other pages that are subpages to this layout. Like this layout has a Tabstrip in it that loads different pages, depending on which tab is active. It doesn't *seem* to me that those other pages need more than two basic variants each (320x480/480x320), as they will stretch to fill the space of the main layout's TabStrip object. So... ideas? I'm going to experiment by adding that 765x411 to every page and see if Google likes that better.

And... my phone's real resolution is 2880x1440, so when the designer reports 2678x1440, I'm guessing it is cutting those extra pixels out for the bottom navigation, so it is reporting *usable* screen space. The only problem is that I don't know what usable screen space pixel number is for other phones I can't plug into this designer:
What res and scale should I use for the following resolution phones?

OnePlus6T: 2880x1080
Mate 20 Pro: 3120x1440
Note 9: 2960x1440

Last edited:

Computersmith64

Licensed User
Longtime User
You can generally get away with just one layout (I have 17 apps on Play Store & they all use only 1 layout for each activity) - except maybe in the case where you want to optimize it for landscape vs. portrait. Even if you do need multiple layouts, there are so many different screen sizes & resolutions out there that trying to create a separate layout for each of them is impossible. If this is the app that I tried to download a few days ago, now I know why Play Store said it wasn't compatible with any of my devices.

I'd recommend you take a look at the Designer Scripts & Autoscale tutorial -> https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/designer-scripts-autoscale-tutorial.22522/.

- Colin.

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
And... my phone's real resolution is 2880x1440, so when the designer reports 2678x1440, I'm guessing it is cutting those extra pixels out for the bottom navigation, so it is reporting *usable* screen space. The only problem is that I don't know what usable screen space pixel number is for other phones I can't plug into this designer:
What res and scale should I use for the following resolution phones?

OnePlus6T: 2880x1080
Mate 20 Pro: 3120x1440
Note 9: 2960x1440
These numbers have no meaning without the scale parameter.

I will refer you to two video tutorials: https://www.b4x.com/etp.html

1. Visual designer
2. B4A Scale / DPI / DIP

Upvote 0