Licensed User
Longtime User
I have a library with following methods:

B4X:
public void ReplaceEditText(BA ba, EditTextWrapper View) {
}

public void ReplaceCheckBox(BA ba, CheckBoxWrapper View) {
}

Calling this in B4A with MyLib.ReplaceEditText(EditText1) for example works well.

Now I want to simplify the usage and provide just a ReplaceView() method that calls the other methods depending on the type of view in the parameter.

I tried the following method:

B4X:
    public void ReplaceView(BA ba, Object View) {

if (android.os.Build.VERSION.SDK_INT >= 21) {
            Common.Log("No View replacement needed for Lollipop or above");
        } else {
            if (View instanceof EditTextWrapper) {
                Common.Log("Replace an EditText View");
                ReplaceEditText(ba, (EditTextWrapper) View);
            } else {
                Common.Log("Replacing of " + View.getClass().toString()
                        + " not supported!");
            }
        }
    }

But this does not work because now if I call MyLib.ReplaceView(EditText1) the parameter is of type android.view.EditText and not EditTextWrapper as I expected. I tried with different parameter types like ViewWrapper. But then I get a ClassCastException when I try to cast the parameter to the correct type for ReplaceEditText().

So what I don't understand is why is the EditText1 object of type android.view.EditText if I declare the parameter as Object and of type anywheresoftware.b4a.objects.EditTextWrapper if I declare the parameter as EditTextWrapper. Is this done by the Java compiler? Is there any solution for my problem? I need the wrapper object as the parameter.

corwin42

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Ok, thanks for the answer.

Since I want to replace the "wrapped" object in the wrapper (and therefore I need the wrapper object) there seems to be no other possibility than writing multiple methods. One for each object type. Ok, currently there are only three needed.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…