What about JAVA JDK?

Sagenut

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I am posting this in Chit Chat on purpose just to make it a nice talking, but to help me clarify some aspects.
We know that B4X can use:
Oracle Java JDK 8
OpenJDK 11
OpenJDK 14 (even if this one does not appear to be pushed too much, I think because it's not an LTS version as 11)
By many time Oracle Java JDK 8 has changed policy and now it's needed an account to download it.
Then it looks Free for Personal Use but it need a paid license to be used commercially.
Is this correct?
So.... If we publish an APK on Google Play for selling compiled using Java JDK 8 should we pay the license to Oracle?
Probably not if we use the latest free version (the 202 if I remember correctly).
But what about Bug Fixing and Security Patch?
I am using OpenJDK 11 and 14 by when they are supported, but now maybe I found a problem (with Websocket, this will deserve another thread).
Which version do you use in your project?
Just for fun I tried to create an OpenJDK 17 (the new LTS version) packet and it looks like B4J accepted it but B4A no.
But it was just a fast try and I am not an expert.
Does it make sense to make the Oracle Account to continue to be able to download Java JDK 8?

EnriqueGonzalez

Licensed User
Longtime User
Does it make sense to make the Oracle Account
NO! it doesnt make sense, you have plenty other options.

OpenJDK, Zulu JDK, Bellsoft JDK, Microsoft JDK, GraalVM JDK. All these tools are freely available without an account.

Dont worry too much about JDK 17 and newer ones, JDK 11 will be around for a few more years and still will run in linux / windows versions for years.
I dont know what changes came in JDK 17 but it is still not supported official by B4x tools, for some or any reason.

Now that i can think of, the best way to ensure that your code will run on JDK 17 is by supporting Anywhere Software either recommending the tools or donating.

should we pay the license to Oracle?
Yes! dont use oracle JDK, Oracle is good for 2 things, making money and paying lawyers.

Which version do you use in your project?
For B4A i use the OpenJDK 11 provided from the forum. For B4J as i code mainly with Web i use GraalVM JDK.

Sagenut

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Dont worry too much about JDK 17 and newer ones, JDK 11 will be around for a few more years and still will run in linux / windows versions for years.
I dont know what changes came in JDK 17 but it is still not supported official by B4x tools, for some or any reason.
Yes, of course.
I just tried as a personal experiment to create the OpenJDK 17 + OpenJFX17, but I would not use it until it's officially supported and distributed by Erel and his Staff.