What's the story behind your avatar image?

rabbitBUSH

Licensed User
Last edited:

Sagenut

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I wasn't a Cat lover, I always owned dogs when I was living with my parents.
Then I got my own apartment with my wife.
She spent her life with cats.
The apartment is small and without a garden to let a dog have better life.
So she convinced me that cats are easier to keep.
7 years ago I got my first cat....... So I am inside the game.
But I still love dogs too, of course.
My avatar just indicate my status when I started exploring the B4X world more seriously...... The Cat face just tell:
"Oh My God! What's is coming now?!?"

fredo

Licensed User
Longtime User
Many many many years ago
Thank you, Peter, for your detailed story.

Today I learned some new things again. What a "Rig doctor" is or that "Brumtown" is a fact worth mentioning when Birmingham is mentioned.

In my youth I had dabbled with CB radio for a short time (an inexpensive 100mW IIRC).
But in my area there were hardly any like-minded people and after sunset only Italian noisy mishmash could be heard.

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I wasn't a Cat lover, I always owned dogs when I was living with my parents.
Then I got my own apartment with my wife.
She spent her life with cats.
The apartment is small and without a garden to let a dog have better life.
So she convinced me that cats are easier to keep.
7 years ago I got my first cat....... So I am inside the game.
But I still love dogs too, of course.
My avatar just indicate my status when I started exploring the B4X world more seriously...... The Cat face just tell:
"Oh My God! What's is coming now?!?"
And you were right! Cats are much more assholes than dogs, not at all affectionate, opportunistic (in most cases, of course, not always); dogs would give their lives for their "owner".

taximania

Licensed User
Longtime User
My cat(Barry) watches my back.
Team work, every time šŸ˜ šŸ‘

CCTVcat.jpg

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
When I started my career after a 2 year vocational school training in automotive mechanics (17 years young), I discovered my skin (eczema) could not handle the toxic environment (grease, solvents, hand cleaners, etc.)... - so I looked for something else that suited my skill set.

I lucked into a job in the transportation industry (Commercial Motor Vehicles - transport trucks). This consisted of selling, installing and repairing "tachographs".
This is (was) a mechanical instrument that recorded the time, speed, RPM and distance travelled on a (round) wax coated paper chart.

As time progressed - electronics - then computers - so did my knowledge of what was required to service this industry effectively.
The basic premise was to record the overall operation of a vehicle - safety (not speeding), fuel efficiency and time behind the wheel (Hours Of Service) of the driver.
Want to survive and excel? - learn programming.... or prepare to dig ditches...

So, from those primitive beginnings until now, "Modern Mobile Solutions" - attempts to encapsulate what was then the leading technology and mould it into a modern method, using our mobile devices (tablets and phones - web apps on desktop) and create easy solutions for the trucking industry. Quite frankly ( I have witnessed, experienced this time and again ) - without B4X - this is nearly impossible (practically and financially) due to the many disparate parts.... Many deep pockets have failed trying...

So, to the point.... The Avatar.

The background is from an old (1958) Kienzle tachograph image and edited with a text overly (paint)....
This German company (Kienzle / Mannesmen) invented this device....

Yes, long winded - but hey, you asked without number of word length or other (boring) definition...

LKWTachograph.jpg

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
And you were right! Cats are much more assholes than dogs, not at all affectionate, opportunistic (in most cases, of course, not always); dogs would give their lives for their "owner".

I take exception to that! My 3 cats won't leave me alone - and do most of the typing replying to these posts (they are smart too - but can't type so well - walking on my keyboard - buggers).

My best friend, who passed this year in Oct. (same age as I - 62) shared your viewpoint - didn't appreciate cats. He had dogs all his life - and shared them with me. I would take them for weeks fly fishing at remote places. Great companions - but they were very needy. I could not leave the site for a night of peace and un-interrupted bank feeding trout on my own... I couldn't tie them up cause they would howl incessantly. However, I loved them and glad to have them along - despite previous stated regrets.

My daughter found me a new kitten this spring, cause I wanted a new sweet thing in my life (so did the other 2 older cats).
My best buddy asked me what I would call it... It is male with dark hazel eyes... When he arrived at my place, I said his name was Haze... (Hazel is a female name)
He said - oh - like Isaac Haze... Yes! like that! From then I call him Isaac... He cozied up to young Isaac and loved him indeed.... I total turnaround....

I can go away for weeks and know my cats will take care of the place, won't burn it down or miss me all that much. My friends give them food and water and along with the cat door - they have all they need. Goats, donkeys, sheep and cats are all different from dogs - but they all need our regard. Thankfully, many other species will be here long after humans have decimated the place... not to be so morbid....

Thanks

Sagenut

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
....my doggie Stitch. Sadly passed away about a year ago.....
Stitch is looking at You developing every day and help You with Bugs.
He knows that You will never forget him.

rabbitBUSH

Licensed User

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
BTW - how does a German Kienzle/Mannesmann speedometer get to Canada?
H. Ruhl Machinery Co. Ltd was the company I worked for.
Herman Ruhl immigrated to Canada - probably back during the war. He had 13 branches across Canada and sold industrial equipment (lathes, milling machines, etc).
He also had the exclusive rights to the tachograph for Canada - and did quite well with it. I travelled and worked across Canada with this company - and managed several branches. The first "black box" we sold (and it was literally a black box) was from Kienzle. It had a whooping 2k of memory! The memory card, cast aluminum, was the size of half a brick! The good old days....

rabbitBUSH

Licensed User
Kienzle/Mannesmann
Their wrist watches and some other stuff were around in rhodesia and south africa back a few years ago. Kienzle was an early multi national I suppose.

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
German engineering... The old tachographs were all metal - no plastic.... Built before plastic was even invented - I think....

Martin Larsen

Licensed User
Longtime User
I am an amateur astronomer and my avatar is the Orion constellation, one of my favorites. It's also the server name of one of my computers (I mainly use astronomical names for my servers).

The avatar is mirrored in comparison to the real constellation. Don't ask me why, it just is!

Martin Larsen

Licensed User
Longtime User
Noice. Have you ever had a chance to take a sharp photo of M42 with your equipment?

No. I once had a 8" newton telescope but that was before the era of digital cameras. Nowadays I only have a small 4" Meade scope because I live near Copenhagen with lots of light pollution so a big telescope doesn't really make sense.