What's your favourite game?

MaFu

Licensed User
Longtime User
Commandos 1-3 (there's no 4)
A great series, indeed. I recently purchased Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun, which is the same kind of game and the best successor I've seen.
You're right, it's "Commandos: Strike Force" (without 4)
In opposite to 1-3 it's a FPS.

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I really liked commandos.
Very addictive game.

@andymc was working on a similar game but i think he has put that project by side. Really sad. I hope he will continue it.

Toley

Licensed User
Longtime User
I would say that recent games are much more complex and offer so much different things to do compares to older games. There is a bunch of past classics from PacMan to MarioBros but it cannot be compares to newer games where you can play hundreds of hours never doing the same things and explore huge imaginary worlds.

1- Skyrim
2- Witcher 3
3- Fallout 4
4- Assassin's Creed 2
5- Mario 64

Informatix

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I would say that recent games are much more complex and offer so much different things to do compares to older games. There is a bunch of past classics from PacMan to MarioBros but it cannot be compares to newer games where you can play hundreds of hours never doing the same things and explore huge imaginary worlds.

1- Skyrim
2- Witcher 3
3- Fallout 4
4- Assassin's Creed 2
5- Mario 64
I do not totally agree. Yes, we have now a more immersive experience (thanks to GPU), more adventure/FPS games for the same reason, and, for a few games, huger worlds (thanks to bigger HD/more memory) but in the 1990's, I remember that I played some games during many many hours with enough variety to not get bored, within worlds that were far from small (e.g. Baldur's Gate, Fallout 1) and the pleasure was the same than today. I was not restricted to play the same levels of Pacman one thousand times. ;) So I understand that you can compare your first experience with Tomb Raider to the last one. Different visuals and world size but same pleasure at the time they were played.

Last edited:

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
Without taking much time to think about it:

Command and Conquer generals
Sega Rally (sega saturn)
Virtua Fighter 2(saturn)
Virtua Cop 2(saturn)
Mech Assault(xbox)
World of Warcraft (had to kick that habit six months in though)
Quake
Doom
New Doom
Elite 2: Frontier (Amiga 1200)
Cod modern warfare 2 special ops missions with a friend on Skype

Informatix

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Without taking much time to think about it:

Command and Conquer generals
Sega Rally (sega saturn)
Virtua Fighter 2(saturn)
Virtua Cop 2(saturn)
Mech Assault(xbox)
World of Warcraft (had to kick that habit six months in though)
Quake
Doom
New Doom
Elite 2: Frontier (Amiga 1200)
Cod modern warfare 2 special ops missions with a friend on Skype
Memories, memories... Total Annihilation, Duke Nukem, Castle Wolfenstein....

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
You can learn a lot from this thread.
When people list their favorite games you can know what game you should work on.
And from what i see most guys like shooting games like doom and duke nukem.

I am afraid that the competition in the market is to big for such games.

Informatix

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
You can learn a lot from this thread.
When people list their favorite games you can know what game you should work on.
And from what i see most guys like shooting games like doom and duke nukem.

I am afraid that the competition in the market is to big for such games.
I don't think that you can draw conclusions for Android/iOS based on PC and consoles game lists. I tried two FPS games under Android and it was not a pleasant experience. Movement in 3D space is not very intuitive with only touch controls. And my installed Android games are very different from what I play on my PC. I will never install a game like Trainyard or Rescue Roby on my PC.

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I don't think that you can draw conclusions for Android/iOS based on PC and consoles game lists. I tried two FPS games under Android and it was not a pleasant experience. Movement in 3D space is not very intuitive with only touch controls. And my installed Android games are very different from what I play on my PC. I will never install a game like Trainyard or Rescue Roby on my PC.

I was thinking of pc game using SGE ;)

I know sge doesnot support 3d but i have the filling that a pseudo 3d game with retro look may interest lot of old guys like us. :)

Btw. I have an awesome idea for a sge game but now i have 0 time to deal with it. I hope in few weeks i can start this project.

Informatix

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I was thinking of pc game using SGE ;)

I know sge doesnot support 3d but i have the filling that a pseudo 3d game with retro look may interest lot of old guys like us. :)

Btw. I have an awesome idea for a sge game but now i have 0 time to deal with it. I hope in few weeks i can start this project.
I can understand the nostalgia for retro games and why some people try to port game legends to new hardware. But what I don't understand is these recent games like Stardew Valley that are made with 256 colors and low resolution artwork to have a vintage look. Why? It's horrible. My eyes bleed when I see them.