What's your favourite game?

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello all,
@RandomCoder got me thinking this morning about games. I enjoy driving simulators and have done so for years. Way back when I used to enjoy playing the 'Silent Hunter' series of games on my PC/Laptop, I also used to play the 'Battlefield' series of games, but sadly no longer.

The one type of game that over the years I have always stuck with is the racing simulator, you name it and I've most probably played it on either the PC or Playstation.

So the question is a simple one. If you ever get the the time to do so, or if you are a gamer, what is or even in the past what was your favourite game, you can select multiple games if you wish to do so?

My favourite games of all time is probably a series of WW2 submarine strategy games called 'Silent Hunter', the series sadly ended with 'Silent Hunter 5' back in 2010 :(

Sidenote: This week we received and have been playing 'Drive Club VR' on the PS4 using the VR headset, it's excellent and we'll recommended if you like racing simulators and own an PS4 with VR.

Last edited:

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Now that's a really really hard question. It's hard to differentiate between just good memories and a really amazing game... Anyway, let's try and do this!

In bold: Games which are somewhat special to me, not necessarily the best. :)

Arcade:
- [Racing] Chase H.Q. / Sega Rally / Daytona USA / Scud Race
- [Gun] Time Crisis 2 / Virtua-Cop 2 / Virtua-On / The Lost World: Jurassic Park
- [Fighting] Virtua Fighter Series / Mortal Kombat
- [Beat'em'Up] Spikeout

Platformers:
- Blackthorne
- Sonic & Knuckles
- Mario 64
- Tomb Raider 2

Fighting:
- Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike
- Ultra Street Fighter IV
- Mortal Kombat Triology
- Mortal Kombat X
- Tekken 5

Beat'em'Up:
- Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (WHAT A SOUNDTRACK!!!!!!)
- Double Dragon II

Strategy:
- Civilization
- Simcity
- Warcraft 2
- Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3

Action:
- Ninja Gaiden Sigma**
- Devil May Cry
- Vanquish (OMG I LOVE THIS GAME!!!!)

Horror:
- Phantasmagoria 2
- Resident Evil
- Resident Evil 4

Point'n'Click:

- Full Throttle
- Indiana Jones and The Fate of Atlantis
- X-Files

Racing:
- Need For Speed: Underground
- Need For Speed: Most Wanted 2016 (ANDROID)
- Motorstorm Series
- WipeOut Fury

Stealth:
- Metal Gear Solid 3
- Metal Gear Solid 4*

FPS:
- Black (PS2)
- Doom 2016
- Brutal Doom II
- Quake 2

Online:
- Unreal Tournament
- Hearthstone

JRPG:
- Chrono Trigger
- Final Fanatasy X*
- Final Fanatasy XII

Special:
- Portal 2
- Mirror's Edge (I can feel butterflies in my stomach just thinking of it!)

*Both MGS4 and FFX helped me cope with loss and depression.

**Ninja Dynamics exists because of this game! The first time I played it I thought: "Holy shit! I wanna make (fast and brutal) games like this!"

Last edited:

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Back in the day....

Spectrum:
Shinobi
Marauder
Double dragon
Super hang-on
Crazy taxy

Arcade:
Time crisis 2
Street fighter

Console:
Driver
Rayman
Prince of Persia

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
1) Age Of Empire
2) Prince of persia 1
3) Duke Nuke 3d
4) Arkanoid
5) Jill of Jungle
6) PacMan
7) Tetris
8) Space Invader
9 ) Quake
10) Doom

RandomCoder

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm glad Sonic and Mario have both already been mentioned and not forgotten about, these were both about being addictively playable to all.
In my youth I also remember losing many, many hours of my life to...
Outrun
Frogger
Doom
Roadblasters (I spent a fortune on this game in the arcades!!!)
Tetris
I guess even consumed a lot of my time whilst at school on my phone :oops:

In later years on the console I loved playing...
Gran Turismo
Driver
Call of Duty (although I've not bothered with the latest release)
World of Tanks
Grid
Dirt (Dirt 3 and the Infected multiplayer game, if you've never played it you should, it's an absolute blast with friends)

That's made be think about fun multiplayer games...
SSX
Worms Armageddon
Portal 1 & 2
Call of Duty (Zombies multiplayer!!!)

But more recently I've been playing on the PC and mostly racing Sims...
Project Cars
Dirt Rally
Asseto Corsa
Forza Horizon

And as of a couple of days ago Dirt 4.

The physics in the Dirt Rally games, Project Cars and Asseto Corsa are just fantastic. I have a Logitech G920 wheel, pedals and gear stick which feeds the feeling of the car handling back to me and later this year hope to complement it with a DIY simulator. Just a 2DOF or possibly 3DOF to begin with but after that who knows? Maybe a full 6DOF Stewart Platform!

With VR now becoming well established and hopefully more affordable in the future, you can see how games are becoming much more than just pixels on a screen. They are becoming far more immersive than that. VR and racing simulation are perfect together, and I think we'll start to see much more immersion brought into gaming on the future. :)

inakigarm

Licensed User
Longtime User
Spectrum:

Avalon
Tir na nog

Sega Arcade:

Pengo

Amiga:

John Madden Football
Kick Off
Doom

Sega Master System:

Sonic Saga

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
i had a lot of favorites game in the past but if you would ask me what system i would like to play today that i have played when i was young i would say without any doubts Commodore 64.

i remember the noise when i put the tape to the cassette player and types run on the commodore and then hit the play button. its was awesome those days to play pc games. i was 6 and i remember i had bruce lee, rambo, and several shooting games like invaders.

when i was 8 we left israel and we moved to austria. i lived in austria for about 14 years and i have no idea what happened to our c64.
one day i would like to purchase a c64 with cassette tape and play again those old games.

my second choice would be nintendo. i played a lot nintendo and super mario is my favorite.

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User

AHilton

Licensed User
Longtime User
I still have my first C64 sitting at home next to the server rack and still have a bunch of tapes and disks (bought a disk drive for it later). Learned programming by typing in those magazine codes. The first program I sold was created on that machine back in '84 when I was 16.

Good times.

i had a lot of favorites game in the past but if you would ask me what system i would like to play today that i have played when i was young i would say without any doubts Commodore 64.

i remember the noise when i put the tape to the cassette player and types run on the commodore and then hit the play button. its was awesome those days to play pc games. i was 6 and i remember i had bruce lee, rambo, and several shooting games like invaders.

when i was 8 we left israel and we moved to austria. i lived in austria for about 14 years and i have no idea what happened to our c64.
one day i would like to purchase a c64 with cassette tape and play again those old games.

my second choice would be nintendo. i played a lot nintendo and super mario is my favorite.

RandomCoder

Licensed User
Longtime User
I still have my first C64 sitting at home next to the server rack and still have a bunch of tapes and disks (bought a disk drive for it later). Learned programming by typing in those magazine codes. The first program I sold was created on that machine back in '84 when I was 16.

Good times.

I too spent many an hour tirelessly typing code lines from magazines only to find that it often didn't work. It was then a case of trying to figure out what was wrong or wait for the correction that would be published in the following weeks magazine. :mad:

I also forgot to mention a couple of space games that were great for their time...
Xenon... Got to love all those add-on's and power-ups!
R-Type

And there's a game like Lander where you had a bomber plane and had to drop the bomb just at the right time to destroy a target but on the way there were SAM's and other hazards to avoid. I forget it's name but very simple yet very addictive.

Should we start a new thread about kids TV shows???
These days is all rubbish like Power Rangers, Totally Spies, Sabrina The Teenage Witch etc :confused:

Remember these...
The A-Team
Knight Rider
Air Wolf
Street Hawk
The Fall Guy
Jukes of Hazard
Chips
Even the Beverly Hillbillie's was better than today's TV!

I'm starting to show my age :D

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I was having a good think about my old ZX Spectrum 48k last night, and my favourite game on that computer was Jet Set Willy closely followed by Turbo Esprit. Paper boy and then the game Airwolf. I then started thinking about my Commodore Amiga A500 and lots of games came to mind including Altered Beast, Duke Nukem 3D, IK+ (Internation Karate+), F1 GP and Speedball 2. In the 90's I mainly laid the PS1, games included Metal Gear Solid, Tekken 1, 2 & 3, Grand theft auto, GTA 2, Tomb Raider, Mortal Kombat 1 & 2 etc...

Informatix

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm not really a video game player (I prefer games to play with friends around a table), but I try a lot of them and when I play more than a few hours on the same video game, it is particularly excellent from my point of view (and a nightmare for my sleep time). Here's my hall of fame since 2011:
Age of Wonders III
Alien: Isolation (the only game that really scared me)
Batman Arkham City
Borderlands 2 (absolutely fun!)
Civilization V
Endless Legend
Many Lego games (in coop with my son)
Skyrim
Saints Row the Third (regressive but fun)
Subnautica (for the WOW effect when you dive and explore)
Sonic and All-Stars racing (against my son)
Shadowrun Dragonfall and Hong Kong
Many Tomb Raider games
The Banner Saga 1 & 2
XCom Enemy Within (currently)

Last edited:

MaFu

Licensed User
Longtime User
My beloved games (in my spare time):

BioShock (1, 2 & Infinite), i love the SteamPunk ambience
Borderlands (1 & 2)
Mafia (1 & 2)
Witcher (only played the first one for now)
GTA (San Andreas & 4)
Crashday
Split Second
Worms (all versions)

also nice to play:

Commandos (1 - 4)
Crookz - The Big Heist
Dethkarz
Doom
FLOCK!
Grid
H.A.W.X.