Android Question Which computer runs/compiles B4X code with the best performance?

amorosik

Expert
Licensed User
For those who spend a lot of time with Anywhere Software development environments, it is vital to work on computers that are responsive and allow you to make the most of the (little) time available
And therefore it is reasonable to think of a workstation specifically optimized for Anywhere Software environments
Now, it is always very difficult to say if it is the cpu or the hard disk or the motherboard that affects the performance of a system
Precisely because it is a 'system' whose performances are defined by the individual performances of different components
And therefore it is much easier to test the functioning of the same program on different computers
This would allow anyone wishing to optimize their computer for operation with Anywhere Software development systems to know the best components as they have been tested exactly with operation on B4A, B4J, etc ...
My proposal is therefore the creation of an archive with the main components of the computer used (cpu, ram, motherboard, hard-disk, operating system, development environment version), and/or the creation of a small video showing the compilation of a large program and the time taken
Obviously the program to be compiled must be exactly the same
What are you saying?
Which large program could we choose?
What sequence of operations to indicate in order to have test conditions comparable to each other?

pliroforikos

Licensed User
Its not only the compiler. When we are writting code we probably need a browser with a banch of tabs open, maybe one or more virtual machines or android simulator and maybe some music to play at the background or youtube. Several other apps like email client, antivirus takes memory and cpu time. So, 16gb at least and 2 ssd one for os and second for running b4x maybe and data. CPU as strong as you can afford. No mechanical disk at all and a simple graphics card if you are not a game developer. A large screen is a must. That depends on your age too! At my 49 years i need 24'' when i used to have 21'' and 17''. Remember to keep windows in good shape too.
In (good?) old times i was running Turbo C in my msdos 3.30 and there was nothing else.

Upvote 0

MikeSW17

Licensed User
Most time is saved by getting your code right first time! :cool:
When I started out, we wrote out programs on coding sheets, gave them to the department secretary and got back a punched paper tape.
Having checked the print-out, the paper tape was given to the computer operator. They read it in to the computer, compiled/linked & (if successful) ran the program.
Back came a print-out and you'd either made progress or wasted a day.:mad: Oh, yes all the code was PDP-11 machine code 😍

Upvote 0

BillMeyer

Licensed User
Longtime User
Recently upgraded to a Dell G3 that is upgraded from standard.
I have a Full HD screen, 32gb RAM, 1TB SSD and 1TB standard disk all pulled together by Win10 on an i7 9th Gen with GeForce GTX graphics with an additional 42" monitor.

For a 61 year old - this is like stepping out of your old battered Toyota Corolla into a BOSS 302 Mustang !!

In the beginning, just after receiving the machine, I compiled everything 2 or 3 times before I realized that it compiled the first time - just so fast that I did not realize that my habits of old of doing other things whilst the machine was compiling had to come to an end and I need to concentrate as this "young lad laptop" on my desktop does not take nonsense !!

Upvote 0

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
CPU: intel i9-10900k
RAM: 16GB or 32 Gb
Memory: SSD 1Tb
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3090
Sound Card: RME HDSPe RayDAT or CREATIVE Sound BlasterX AE-5 Plus Pure Edition

Upvote 0

imbault

Licensed User
Longtime User
I agree with the i9, 32 Gb; 2 SSD 2x1To, good NVIDIA graphic card supporting 3 or 4 screens, I think the Nvidia GeForce RTX 3090 is very expensive, but should be a very good choice for other applications than dev.

Does someone have a brand and model name, I'm on the way to buy a new PC.... Desktop or Laptop?

Thanks

Patrick

Upvote 0

dannyjon

Licensed User
Longtime User
SSD is a must have.

I use B4X with 128gb SSD and you can really see a difference. Max out the RAM, DDR4 and at least quad core CPU. AMD Threadripper is good but expensive but a £350 lappy with SSD and quadcore, 8gb ram does me fine, although anything faster is always welcome. :)

Upvote 0

BanditMrP

I'm using an HP Z420 Workstation, with SSD Boot Drive, 32GB RAM and a Xeon E5-1620 v2. It's about 5 years old and still more than quick enough for me. The slight slow down that I do (deliberately) is my code is stored on a server share, and therefore is part of the nightly backup routine too, network drive access at 1Gb/s is nowhere near the speed of SSD access, but it doesn't hold me back.

Upvote 0

MikeSW17

Licensed User
B4X runs perfectly well on my 7yr old HP500 Pavilion: AMD A10-6700 4core, 16GB RAM, ~15Tb storage. Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Upvote 0

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
My experience:
I am NOT a pro dev, so I can live with my actual configuration...
I have an i5 gen8, 8GB RAM, 512MB SSD ASUS Laptop.
Every once in a while, the IDE freezes for a few seconds... again, I not a pro so it doesn't bother me much.
2 screens are starting to make sense to me... one for the IDE and the other for all the Web tabs we open to look up things and for the debug runs of our code.
My laptop is not of my single usage, so it's not a dedicated system.

Upvote 0

Num3

Licensed User
Longtime User
I just have an old HP Z400 workstation, 1 boot SSD, 1TB data drive, 28Gb Ram. It's good enough to do anything.

I don't use multi monitors, I have a single 21" full HD 1080p screen, and use the Win10 multiple desktop feature (Win Key + Tab) and (CRTL + Win Key + Arrows to switch between them) and have a 2 desktops setup, one for internet browsing the other for work.

Upvote 0