Wish Wiki

Creideiki

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,

I would really like to have a Wiki for B4X.

At the moment you can find nearly any information you need in the forum. But it is very time consuming to find a working seach term. And it is nerly impossible to find out if the information is actual. Android and B4X are developing rapidly and postings which were helpful a year ago might be outdated already.
I am working with different platforms in different languages, so I often have the problem to have to look after a simple question (what was the syntax of..., how to use...). I mostly find it after some searching, but it is time consuming.

A Wiki could hold infos for a specific problem in one place, not spread across the whole forum. It could be kept up to date more easily.
There could be parts for the syntax, for basic ideas (android app life cycle, usage of services, ...) and for the core and external libraries.

I think there are much people in the forum which could help filling an Wiki.

What do you think about that?

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User

Creideiki

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hm, yes, that's a part of it.

The tutorials are a relevant part of it, too.
But there is too much history in there IMHO. I have to sort out most of the comments which are not relevant any more. Often the original post gets updated, but often you have to read the whole thread to be up-to-date.

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
There was a wiki in the past and it failed. It quickly became outdated and the information included many mistakes.

The updated documentation is in the forum tutorials and the programming guides. The search engine is the key to find the relevant stuff in the forum, it does consider the thread date as one (out of many) scoring parameters.

Creideiki

Licensed User
Longtime User
Well, perhaps I only behave stupidly, but often I can't find what I need even after hours of searching...