Will This Code Open a PDF?

Fixx42

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello all,

As a newbie android programmer, I am in the somewhat difficult position of attempting to code an android app without owning android device, and would thus very much appreciate your help with what I fear may be a silly question.

If I put the PDF file GoldLineFeb2012.pdf into the "files" tab of my program in Basic4Android, will the following code open that PDF (in an external viewer, I assume)? When I attempt to run it in the emulator, it tells me "no applications can perform this action". I'm not sure if that's because the emulator lacks a PDF viewer, or because of a problem with my code. And without an android device of my own I am unable to test it first-hand.

Dim intent1 As Intent
intent1.Initialize(intent1.ACTION_VIEW, "GoldLineFeb2012.pdf")
intent1.SetType("application/pdf")
intent1.WrapAsIntentChooser("Choose PDF Viewer")
StartActivity(intent1)

Thanks a lot for the help!

Steve

fpdianzen

Licensed User
Longtime User
give this a try,
it worked for me :)

B4X:
Intent1.Initialize(intent1.ACTION_VIEW, "file://" & File.Combine(directory & "/", Value))   intent1.SetComponent("android/com.android.internal.app.ResolverActivity")
StartActivity(intent1)

Upvote 0

gapi

Licensed User
Longtime User
It is the first time for me. Where should I put the code intent ? I've a pdf files on my sdcard, thanks!

Upvote 0

NJDude

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
You can place that code on a Button for example:
B4X:
Sub Button1_Click

Dim Intent1 As Intent

Intent1.Initialize(intent1.ACTION_VIEW, "file://" & File.Combine(directory & "/", Value))
    intent1.SetComponent("android/com.android.internal.app.ResolverActivity")

StartActivity(intent1)

End Sub

Upvote 0

enrico

Licensed User
Longtime User
It works in my device, but it opens the pdf with google docs in the browser and not with Adobe Reader or RepliGo Reader even if I set them to default application.
It doesn't work in the emulator even if I install Adobe Reader ("No application can perform this action").

Upvote 0

JOTHA

Licensed User
Longtime User
You can place that code on a Button for example:
B4X:
Sub Button1_Click

Dim Intent1 As Intent

Intent1.Initialize(intent1.ACTION_VIEW, "file://" & File.Combine(directory & "/", Value))
    intent1.SetComponent("android/com.android.internal.app.ResolverActivity")

StartActivity(intent1)

End Sub
This works in my app also! THX !!!

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The AAA.pdf file is in my app files folder .
Only your app is allowed to read this folder. To let another app open it you need to copy the file to another dir.

Upvote 0