[wish] Better Way to Connect to Devices

EduardoElias

Licensed User
Longtime User
Here is my problem:

Commonly I have 2 devices for testing (2 tablets)

But this get to 4 or 5 when I am getting close to release the app.

3 are real devices, 2 are VirtualBox emulators (ip based either, so it is a real device)

Disconnecting and reconnecting to each one and remembering IP is boring and I get lost.

FIRST WISH:

I wonder if could have a way to add the devices to the IDE, and have like a panel with buttons where each button is a device (it could have some useful information in each, like name, mode or screen size).

Then a single click would turn that device the connected one (disconnecting other automatically).

I suggest a pannel with buttons because is quickly to select than a dropbox, that will take more clicks to get the same. Please considere the minimal steps to make it happen.

Each button on this panel could be associated to keyboard shortcuts.

SECOND WISH

B4A-Bridge when executed (using the start wireless) could be automatically detected and show up on the IDE panel above. This is on the local network only. Not sure about the discoverable thing process but it must consider more IDEs in the same network (in case of 2 programmers using the IDE), I dont think is necessary any sharing control, just make the device appear on the devices available panel.

well, I am each time more happy with B4A and the stuff I am doing, so I am looking to see the B4A gets each time better

Regards,

Eduardo Elias

rboeck

Licensed User
Longtime User
i have exactly the same wish; i should be easier and faster to change the devices!

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
On compile - (below List Permissions/Close) Send to All - Checkbox.
Radio button of all connected devices - to turn on/off at will.

I have three devices I like to test on - Hi-density phone (most problematic with layouts), low density tablet (Acer A100) and Nexus 7.

Now, it's connect phone (bring up B4A bridge to remember IP) - compile
connect Acer (remember IP) - compile
connect Nexus 7..........

So many wishes, but still only 24 hours (minus 8 for rest) in a day for Team Erel.

Thanks

Eduard

Licensed User
Longtime User
Easier and faster switch between devices would be handy

B4A should perhaps ask before compiling to which device (if more than one) it will compile.

Related to this: If no device is connected. B4A should ask first if you really want to compile. I've a large project and it takes some time to compile.

EduardoElias

Licensed User
Longtime User
Currently you can have two connected devices (one over bridge and one with USB) and an emulator connected
When you press F5 you will be asked which device you are targeting.

Pressing on Alt + 3 (background compilation) will use the last chosen device.

Thank you to let me know

However I dont use the emulator anymore... too slow and get stuck sometimes

When gets to emulation I use virtualbox and for that I need to be network based.

USB is hard because I use the devices usb sometimes then I got used to always go wireless.

But like the title it is a wish, and idea that eventually will make the IDE better...

pixelpop

Licensed User
Longtime User
Along the lines of this these requests/suggestions, I'm wondering if there might be some way to "decouple" B4A Bridge from the IDE completely. Run Bridge perhaps as a service on the host PC. This would allow for multiplke active connections as well as multiple projects being worked on simulateously.

In this scenario, project A could be compiled to target A and/or B and project B could be compiled to target A and/or B. Or, as I so often find myself doing, projects A, B and C could be compiled to target A without the need to constantly disconnect and reconnect the bridge as I switch projects.