Wish , PLC Siemens<> Android

coslad

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Erel

Just the protocol is hard to implement , Siemens has a proprietary protocol .
"libnodave" is a freeware library that manage the iso Siemens protocol , in the sample in the previous post you can find the full android ported library with an android (eclipse ) sample .
I think that Implement the library could be a strong attraction for those who work in automation to B4A .
In the world of developers for siemens plc are most compared to other brands plc.
This is the sample code:

View attachment 16766

Thanks

Last edited:

Robert Loiacono

Licensed User
Longtime User
This for PLC people:

Hi all, I like this thread and would like to see it stay alive or better, expand into thread(s) related to making control program interfaces for PLC, X-10 and other methods of control / remote interface.

Currently, tablets cost far less than industrial operator interfaces (like the ones I am dealing with all the time) and Customers are more and more used to a central operating interface or a portable interface. Tablets are of course far more powerful and I have not encountered a site that does not have wireless network infrastructure supporting TCPIP.

I have been making interfaces for PC using browser tools and applets but can not of course make this scheme for an Android Tablet since there is no chance to run the applets (JRE issue). But that might not be the end of it.

Since the PLC's are address-based and open for read/write comm on TCPIP, an app should be possible that allows B4A to be used to make control interfaces and use say a (tool) that provides interfaces for the comm and address schemes for specific PLC's who have open protocol.

This would be a powerful addition to the B4A offering and open another area of use, likely to be large as the number of different PLC's supported.

I am working with the Panasonic PLC's right now although I have worked with many. Panasonic had been extremely generous in helping those who develop. Their software for PC interface is java-intensive and requires JRE for use. They also have an open protocol available on their site. It is quite easy, with commands in HTML possible to read / write values to and from addresses.

Right now I have a Customer asking for control by Tablet for his new product where I provided an HTML interface. This is really making me think before developing, if such an app or parts of it already exist. Searching various combinations of "PLC" related phrases, this and one other are the only hits I have found on B4A.

PawelS

Licensed User
Longtime User
Java version of libnodave exists for quite a long time. I used libnodave in many of my projects, and lately I am thinking of making some kind of wraper for b4a or maybe even write this from scratch. The communication with Simatic PLC is indeed quite complicated, but the structure of PDU frame is known and it is not impossible to write this entirely in b4a.
This was the main reason I have bought b4a Enterprise license. I have some Java experience, but android programming in eclipse is such a pain in the butt.... I have some ideas for industrial automation related software, and Siemens PLC's are my main point of interest (the company I work for is a Siemens solution partner).
I am just at the beginnig of this - so if anyone tried to make this work (libnodave) in b4a or maybe even suceed :) - it would be great to share some experience.

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi guys,
Thanks for opening this thread.. I stopped by just to learn and try to understand something.. to be honest, I can't imagine that a day will come and I will go to a class to learn ladder logic.. I firmly believe this is kind of past.. sorry if I am ignorant on this, but I bet all plc and logic ladder are mechanical engineers who didn't study modern electronics, CPUs, MCUs and embedded systems.

PawelS

Licensed User
Longtime User
This is true .. but ladder logic makes PLC program much easier to understand and debug/maintain for non-programmers - but electrical engineers who take care of and service the plant production lines. Learning ladder logic for a software developer is a piece of cake - you can learn this straight from some example programs in few hours.

coslad

Licensed User
Longtime User
hi guys,

is it really so hard to wrap this lib ? i don't know java , but there are many exaple with javafx , so maybe it is easy to implement in b4j and b4a.
i should great if somebody wrap the libnodave library.

Yngveh58

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi
I have an interface between rpi and siemens logo via rpi that can simultaneously run a web server.
Do try to talk directly to logon via a proprietary protocol but there will be many retransmissions over 3g network locally wifi works well.
Have also fixed a Plcmanager as its own library.
when the logo is a single server, I chose to develop on rpi instead.
The app I use works very well and stable.
Have the app a test where I can control relays, dimmers, etc. via Telstick net.
Currents and temperatures derived from the PLC and TellStick.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-02-11-21-09-43.png
    Screenshot_2014-02-11-21-09-43.png
    154 KB · Views: 821

Robert Loiacono

Licensed User
Longtime User
Beja, Thank you for your contribution. There is a lot of talk about the use of PLC in new designs dying over the next ten Years. With untold numbers of installations, consider the value of products offering remote capabilities through Android devices to monitor / adjust / update these systems currently in use. This area of development would probably benefit from use of B4A. If one were to desire to make a small number of systems or subsystems requiring "UL Listed" on the hardware, PLC's are still good trusted I/O. Control Engineers work in STL where PLC's are concerned and typically integrate PC + PLC + Embedded systems. Ladder logic graphical tools were developed by PLC Manufacturers hoping to sell more. Making PLC's useful to Electricians who want to make a step into the world of Industrial Automation but are not apt to extend the effort to learn program languages has probably proven a success to that end. Unfortunately evolution of operating systems and PC serial ports periodically disables the licensed programming tools and adapters, frustrating many. PLC's have Ethernet communication ports and using tools from Panasonic I have put together a system where I am able to check on and maintain equipment installed world wide without traveling. Many PLC Manufacturers have started offering similar capabilities in different solutions however most depend on use of a PC and Java-enabled Browser, which is now going away far faster than PLC's. So Manufacturers will be most likely developing HTML5 solutions soon. It would be nice to see more Android possibilities.

Hi guys,
Thanks for opening this thread.. I stopped by just to learn and try to understand something.. to be honest, I can't imagine that a day will come and I will go to a class to learn ladder logic.. I firmly believe this is kind of past.. sorry if I am ignorant on this, but I bet all plc and logic ladder are mechanical engineers who didn't study modern electronics, CPUs, MCUs and embedded systems.

Last edited:

Mashiane

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
This for PLC people:

Hi all, I like this thread and would like to see it stay alive or better, expand into thread(s) related to making control program interfaces for PLC, X-10 and other methods of control / remote interface.

Currently, tablets cost far less than industrial operator interfaces (like the ones I am dealing with all the time) and Customers are more and more used to a central operating interface or a portable interface. Tablets are of course far more powerful and I have not encountered a site that does not have wireless network infrastructure supporting TCPIP.

I have been making interfaces for PC using browser tools and applets but can not of course make this scheme for an Android Tablet since there is no chance to run the applets (JRE issue). But that might not be the end of it.

Since the PLC's are address-based and open for read/write comm on TCPIP, an app should be possible that allows B4A to be used to make control interfaces and use say a (tool) that provides interfaces for the comm and address schemes for specific PLC's who have open protocol.

This would be a powerful addition to the B4A offering and open another area of use, likely to be large as the number of different PLC's supported.

I am working with the Panasonic PLC's right now although I have worked with many. Panasonic had been extremely generous in helping those who develop. Their software for PC interface is java-intensive and requires JRE for use. They also have an open protocol available on their site. It is quite easy, with commands in HTML possible to read / write values to and from addresses.

Right now I have a Customer asking for control by Tablet for his new product where I provided an HTML interface. This is really making me think before developing, if such an app or parts of it already exist. Searching various combinations of "PLC" related phrases, this and one other are the only hits I have found on B4A.
I am also interested in this field, what have been the developments here about this..