Wish Would Like Some Basic Drawing Elements

Shadow&Max

Licensed User
Longtime User
Simple rectangles and lines for graphically dividing up elements on screen... As views I guess.

Would be nice to be able to draw a rectangle around radio buttons, for example, or a dividing line between two sets of controls... I know I can use a panel, but why do that if a simple box around the controls would be easier and probably less resource consumptive.

Shadow&Max

Licensed User
Longtime User
Yes, I suppose you're right... Thanks I used to use the group boxes in VB ALL of the time... Wish we still had 'em. Isn't' a canvas a pretty consumptive thing?

rbghongade

Licensed User
Longtime User
Dear friends,
I agree to the suggestion that a box can be drawn in designer view, but a line and a circle could not be. Many times we require to draw lines and circles in the designer view. Addition of the basic drawing objects would make it a complete GUI designer.
Warm regards,

rbghongade

Licensed User
Longtime User
Dear informatix,
Please excuse my limited knowledge, but i think a panel may be drawn with transparent color.
Correct me if i am wrong, but i too wish that the basic drawing objects be available in the next avatar of our beloved b4a!

Informatix

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Dear informatix,
Please excuse my limited knowledge, but i think a panel may be drawn with transparent color.
Correct me if i am wrong, but i too wish that the basic drawing objects be available in the next avatar of our beloved b4a!
So it's just an english translation problem (it is not my first language and, for me, "draw" means "trace lines or place points").
Technically, you cannot "draw" on a panel because it is only a container for other views. When you set a color via the Color property, you create in fact a ColorDrawable that is placed inside the panel (same thing for the background; it's a BitmapDrawable). A possible evolution of the panel could be to generate automatically a ShapeDrawable via a property, that would be inserted inside the panel. If someone wants to do it...

stevel05

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User