iOS Question Xcode 15.0.1

Claude Brun

Licensed User
Longtime User
hi,
Yesterday I updated xcode (from v15.0 to v15.0.1)
with V15.0.1 my builds crashes systematically with the error below

/Users/Claude/Documents/B4i_v8/BuildServer/UploadedProjects/<user id>/Images.xcassets: error: Failed to launch AssetCatalogSimulatorAgent via CoreSimulator spawn

The following build commands failed:
CompileAssetCatalog /Users/Claude/Documents/B4i_v8/BuildServer/UploadedProjects/<user id>/Payload/Yenator.app /Users/Claude/Documents/B4i_v8/BuildServer/UploadedProjects/<user id>/Images.xcassets (in target 'B4iProject' from project 'B4iProject')
(1 failure)-V158

I went back to Xcode 15.0 and now everything is fine
Has anyone encountered the same problem?

Thank

nwhitfield

Licensed User
Longtime User
Similar error, since the system updated to 15.0.1

B4X:
/* com.apple.ibtool.errors */
/Users/<user id>/Downloads/B4iBuildServer/UploadedProjects/<user id>/LaunchScreen.storyboard: error: Encountered an error communicating with IBAgent-iOS.
    Failure Reason: IBAgent-iOS (-1) failed to launch
    Recovery Suggestion: Please check Console.app for crash reports for "IBAgent-iOS" for further information.
    Underlying Errors:
        Description: Failed to launch IBAgent-iOS via CoreSimulator spawn
        Failure Reason: Failed to spawn IBAgent-iOS on IBSimDeviceTypeiPad2x (4F455137-38C7-4AC3-826D-48A7CFA82769, (null), Shutdown)
        Underlying Errors:
            Description: Invalid device: The specified device is not available for spawning processes.

I don't have any device in the simulator list that has that UUID, and I'm not attempting to build for the simulator anyway, but to test on the app. It also won't build a release app, either.

Upvote 0

Johan Hormaza

Licensed User
Longtime User
I had the exact same problem, what I did was update the emulator devices to iOS 17 and then restart the Mac.
Now everything works perfectly.
Similar error, since the system updated to 15.0.1

B4X:
/* com.apple.ibtool.errors */
/Users/<user id>/Downloads/B4iBuildServer/UploadedProjects/<user id>/LaunchScreen.storyboard: error: Encountered an error communicating with IBAgent-iOS.
    Failure Reason: IBAgent-iOS (-1) failed to launch
    Recovery Suggestion: Please check Console.app for crash reports for "IBAgent-iOS" for further information.
    Underlying Errors:
        Description: Failed to launch IBAgent-iOS via CoreSimulator spawn
        Failure Reason: Failed to spawn IBAgent-iOS on IBSimDeviceTypeiPad2x (4F455137-38C7-4AC3-826D-48A7CFA82769, (null), Shutdown)
        Underlying Errors:
            Description: Invalid device: The specified device is not available for spawning processes.

I don't have any device in the simulator list that has that UUID, and I'm not attempting to build for the simulator anyway, but to test on the app. It also won't build a release app, either.

Upvote 0

nwhitfield

Licensed User
Longtime User
I've added an iOS17 simulator, but still no dice. And it's still trying to connect to a device that's not even listed in the list of device - a different id, not even a constant one. So I'm somewhat at a loss; I could delete all my simulators, and create new iOS17 ones. But if it's just trying to connect to a random device id that changes, I don't see that helping.

How easy is it to revert to 15.0 ?

Frankly, I"m tempted to just release the last test flight version rather than put up with more of this crap from Apple; the only difference is changing the format of a string from an ISO date to a spelled out one. I spent the weekend doing some graphics stuff, and I never cease to be amazed at how shoddy Apple's software has become.

Upvote 0

Claude Brun

Licensed User
Longtime User
For me I opened xcode and clicked on “Create new project”
then on the screen "chose a template for your new project" there was an alert for ISO17, clicking on it Xcode installs it and for me it worked correctly after

Otherwise I went back to Xcode 15 before having the solution and I did that in a very simple way: deleted the Xcode in the application folder and restored the previous xcode with TimeMachine

Upvote 0

nwhitfield

Licensed User
Longtime User
I've come back to this again this morning, and seen there's another update Xcode wants which was either 'iOS 17' or 'iOS 17.0.1 Simulator'

Who knows which? It shows as the first in the main window, but in the small progresss window after clicking Get, it's labelled as the second; Apple's stunning qualit control strikes again, I guess.

So, all working now. But honestly, this was a minor point update from 15.0 to 15.0.1; what sort of quality control are they doing where what's supposed to be a minor tweak can completely shaft someone's build system?

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Took me a while to find it. Eventually I've created a new iOS project in Xcode and then a message saying that iOS 17 isn't available appears at the top and you can click on "get" to download it.

1698654187690.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0