Everyone will soon have their own server at home

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I changed my ISP: now it is WIND INFOSTRADA.

upload_2015-8-30_7-30-54.png

The contract sets up to 20Mpbs. Same as the contract with my previous ISP but before I obtained 16Mpbs - 0.89Mbps.
I protested for over a month and they promised each time to increase the speed by saying that my line could easily reach 24Mpbs!

Thank you WIND INFOSTRADA.
(this is just my first advertising for your very bad service. The next will have a much wider audience, be sure).

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
My intention, through my post, it was not to receive yours to increase my anger against Infostrada (it is already more than enough).

I meant to emphasize how far we are from gigabit/sec, at least here in Italy.

BTW, the call center operators do not know (or perhaps pretend) that they are bits, not bytes.

RandomCoder

Licensed User
Longtime User
Yes

Yes. Unitymedia. But wait for next year... Telekom will extend it´s Glasfiber net... More possible when going to telekom then....
I'm in envy, 16MB is the best I currently get. Looking to change to fibre soon but even then I'll be lucky to get over 80MB. :(

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
About a year ago, when I still was still a terminal client install tech, I left someone here in the outskirts of Paris, Orange Operator, a (common) 600Mb/s OOKLA tested Fiber Line

inakigarm

Licensed User
Longtime User
New of today !!!

4625224440.png

From 10 Mbps ADSL (8,5 Mbps real) to 30 Mpbs Fiber (could be 300 Mbps but 30 Mbps is cheaper...;))

eps

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hmm...

This is FTTC here in the UK.

Screen Shot 2015-08-31 at 22.21.10.png

We're (hopefully) moving at the end of this month and I think we'll be back to ADSL for a bit... Then hopefully FTTP! Fingers crossed on that one, it can go (alledgedly) from 50Mbps to 1000Mbps (mwah ha ha!) both ways! Although it is yet to be installed in the village...

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
Would it be feasible to buy a raspberry Pi, then host my own server at home using something like dyndns? I don't want to leave my PC running all day, but would love to have something very low powered running a b4j server app hooked up to my router.

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
wow, sitting here with 1,12 Mbps (down, Orange F 3G net) in the french alps is realy comfortable...I can read the B4A forum, that's all I wanted to do:)

data slows down when going uphill ;)

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Once I visited Perugia, Italy.. a small university town on top of the mountains.. When I walked with some friends from Ostello to (downtown) to buy
things and have lunch, actually we had to walk while our body is 20 degrees leaning forwards. while 20 degrees backwards when came down to our Ostello.. (I was
young and had an ID for the Ostello (youth hostel).. I told my friends to call it uptown not downtown.

Troberg

Licensed User
Longtime User
Everyone will soon have their own server at home

OMG, how am I going to get down to one server? I recently retired four servers and replaced them with one, bringing my total down to about six or seven. I don't think I can go much lower than that...