Other It's time to grow

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
I’m very proud in the continuing progress of B4X tools. I’m also very proud to be part of this amazing developers community.

In the last couple of years, I have a growing feeling that B4X tools do not realize their potential. While there are all kinds of development tools, B4X offers a unique set of features: simple, powerful, mature, great community, RAD, native, cross platform and more.
B4X tools are an excellent choice for a wide range of real-world use cases.

So, the question is how to make B4X more popular? Obviously, it is not a simple nor a short-term task.
A clear growth barrier is the fact that unlike most development tools today, B4A and B4i are not free. This wasn’t the case 10 years ago.

The big announcement today is that B4A will become free in a few weeks. The framework - set of internal libraries, will be open sourced.

We will accept contributions for B4A like currently done with B4J.
We've also secured funds from a US investor who shares my vision of making B4X a popular development tool. These resources will allow us to further expand.

How can you help?

Help us spread the word about B4X.

AnandGupta

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hold it !

April 1 is still few months, no ?

If TRUE, Well, was this your plan B, as you said earlier on message about B4A support problem, God forbid, happens ?

This will be the best gesture for Android and Java community. Well Done. Salute.

Regards,

Anand

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you all!
If TRUE, Well, was this your plan B, as you said earlier on message about B4A support problem, God forbid, happens ?
In the long run, making B4X more popular is the best way to assure its long term livelihood. Making the framework open source also helps, to some degree, in removing risks for developers.
And have no doubt, I'm not going anywhere :)

Upvote 0

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Stop the press, B4A has grown from a little child into a mature adult and has shaken up the world :)

Firstly a special huge congratulations to @Erel on this absolutely fabulous news and what a smashing mild stone B4A has reached. Also congratulations to this community (which is more like a family at times) of great developers for helping to make the suite of B4X products so special and successful as they have obviously become. I for one am more than sure that the whole community will pull together in the same direction to make all the B4X products even greater than they have already become.

Thank you Erel for all the years of dedication to B4X, I personally hope that B4X goes from strength to strength with Anywhere Software with your business model and that you personally gain sufficiently too.

Enjoy, as I will...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Douglas Farias

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
unfortunately it is bad news for b4a resellers, who used their time making websites, investing in adwords, making videos and promoting the tool in search of making some money.
I will feel the impact myself, as I was the biggest b4x dealer in Brazil. Basic4Brasil

but on the other hand I am happy to see that the software will be free, it is a great advance, b4x has changed my life, today I have my company with employees and more than 350 applications developed thanks to b4x and especially Erel.

so, good luck in this next stage, I wish you success, that B4a is well publicized now, I believe that there will be many new members, new tutorials, new videos, new libs etc ...

good luck and sucess !

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I have no issues with paying nfor the licenses, how else do you make Money.
We will accept contributions for B4A like currently done with B4J.
We've also secured funds from a US investor who shares my vision of making B4X a popular development tool. These resources will allow us to further expand.

Upvote 0

delgadol

It is news that makes us happy, given something that as developers is not difficult to fight, without a doubt b4x is an incredible language and its ease of development has opened a world of possibilities, being paid is not so popular, in some countries It is a total unknown, many of us try to make it known and try to extend it, but it is difficult to teach a tool where other languages ask for work needs.

Upvote 0

Jimdriver2

Licensed User
Longtime User
That's great news.

I'd suggest really trying to push into the educational market. I used B4A to teach students programming as developing Apps for the devices they owned was far more engaging than making Windows programs that weren't on mobile devices. The superb standard of the B4X toolkit makes it a perfect platform to use for introducing children to textual programming.

Upvote 0

Martin Larsen

Licensed User
Longtime User
Wow! At first I had to chew a little on it. Was it good news or was it bad news?

But it is truly good news! Erel is right, most other tools for mobile app developments are free and of course that attracts developers. I am sure that many developers who have heard about B4X in the past, looked it up and quickly moved on again did that because of the price tag. For me it has never been an issue, even though I have so far not made any money with B4X, but I understand that it could be for many devs.

I expect that many more devs will come here soon.

However, this also makes me think about the support level which is out of this world. For let's say twice as many new developers seek support, will Erel and the other gurus then be able to catch up?

I will help when I can, but so far my experience is not that great.

Upvote 0

rraswisak

Licensed User
And have no doubt, I'm not going anywhere
I will kept this carefully... i remember when first time join with this community when i ask question and no one respond (yet) to my problem, but you the first one who did !
Later... i notice in the forum you always reply for any thread (not all but mostly)... so there were no doubt that you create, maintain and show your responsibility to make all member grown and skillfull.

By the way, this is great news and can't wait to see that B4X will listed as most popular development tools sooner or later... appreciate for all your support all this time.

Upvote 0