Basic4android v1.90 BETA is released!

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm happy to release the first beta version of Basic4android v1.90.

This version includes several important new features:

- Designer scripts - this is probably the most innovative feature added to Basic4android since the first version. It will make it much easier to support different screen sizes and resolutions. Designer Scripts Tutorial

- B4A-Bridge - now supports Bluetooth connections as well as wireless connections. http://www.b4x.com/forum/basic4andr...8-b4a-bridge-new-way-connect-your-device.html

- Java 7 JDK is supported.
- The logging system was improved and all error messages should now show in the filtered logs.
- List.SortType - new method that allows sorting items of custom types based on one of the type fields.
- Bug fixes and other minor improvements.

Notes
- Layout files created (or updated) with v1.90 are not compatible with previous versions.
- The designer and debugger require Android 2.0 or above. Compiled program are still supported by Android 1.6 or above.
- Always backup your work before opening a project with a beta version!

bluedude

Licensed User
Longtime User
Very interesting

Hi Erel,

With the designer script stuff you are solving a lot of UI issues, thanks for that! Need to see how much I need to change to get it working but that is worth the effort.

With the Bluetooth bridge i'm wondering if we could stretch this further. Imagine an Enterprise situation where people walk in to get new updates of an app., would that be do-able?

They walk in, enable Bluetooth and if there is a new version it gets deployed. Would be an interesting Enterprise scenario. Kind of narrowcasting but for Android apps.

Anyway, thanks for the new version!

Upvote 0

Kiffi

Licensed User
Longtime User
Designer scripts are great! Thanks a lot, Erel!

sm_12cblit.gif

Greetings ... Kiffi

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you!

With the Bluetooth bridge i'm wondering if we could stretch this further. Imagine an Enterprise situation where people walk in to get new updates of an app., would that be do-able?
I do plan to create something similar to B4AServer based on Bluetooth (which will make it simpler to configure). As I wrote in the tutorial about B4A-Bridge many devices do not implement Bluetooth good enough. So we will need to first see the experience users are having with B4A-Bridge over bluetooth.

Upvote 0

peacemaker

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks in advance for new version, Erel !
Just a small question: no combobox filled by module names ?
I have projects having 10+ modules and several have rather long names, not fully visible on its bar. I guess a list of all modules would be useful.

Upvote 0

fredo

Licensed User
Longtime User
GREAT work Erel! I'm flabbergasted...

It's a huge timesaver on placing and arranging views for all that different screens out there.

Question though:
Since I'm a lazy typer - is it possible to implement a kind of IntelliSense with a list of names of the placed views? So I could pick the viewname of that list which would avoid typos.

EDIT EDIT
Never Mind - found it.
It's already in there - just type [ctl][space] and the list pops up

Thanks Erel!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bluedude

Licensed User
Longtime User
First test, impressive!

Hi Erel,

Did some first tests with the Designer scripts, what a breeze!

Comes in really handy and can replace all my resize code and the spreadsheet :)

Now just need to find time to put it in the code, could be a little tricky but anyway.

Upvote 0

COBRASoft

Licensed User
Longtime User
Erel, you da man! Just found a very nice (small) addition in this Beta. After selecting some text in the IDE, press CTRL+F... 'Search in Selection' is checked automatically. Select nothing and it becomes unchecked. Very fast workflow now. Thanks!

Upvote 0

MaxApps

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have tested on most of my full apps, and have encountered absolutely no errors.
And what a wonderfull feature for the designer.

Thank you very much.

Kind regards
Jakob
MaxApps

Upvote 0

MaxApps

Licensed User
Longtime User
An Idea!

Would it be possible to build in a function, to the script editor, where if you double click on any object, in the abstract designer, it will write that objects name in the script editor?
So if you want Label1 to be set to top 10%x, you double click on the Label1 in abstract designer and press . choose "Top" and only have to write the =10%x

Kind regards
Jakob
MaxApps

Upvote 0

ozgureffe

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks for the new version Erel,
It really going to solve lots of layout problems

But one thing I want to suggest :

I am new at b4a but wouldn't it be great if there was a feature like

• Landscape Layout Variant Script
  • Portrait Layout Variant Script

Keep up the good work...

Upvote 0

rbsoft

Licensed User
Longtime User
I am using the beta for my current projects and I did not detect any faulty behaviour yet. Works flawless!

Rolf

Upvote 0

pluton

Licensed User
Longtime User
This past days I used a beta version also and I didn't detected any error

I used on some my projects which was made with older versions and everything is super fine :D

Just didn't try bluetooth option so I must test it also ;)

Upvote 0

MaxApps

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Erel

How about, in a future version, that you could get all the x%´s and y%´s from all views, from a layout?

Like a button saying "Calculate script from current layout" and it could write the following in the script:

Label1.left=11%x
Label1.top=9%y
Label1.With=8%x
Label1.height=4%y

Button1.left.........

Such a function would be an awesome time saver.

Kind regards
Jakob
MaxApps

Upvote 0