Basic4android v1.90 BETA is released!

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm happy to release the first beta version of Basic4android v1.90.

This version includes several important new features:

- Designer scripts - this is probably the most innovative feature added to Basic4android since the first version. It will make it much easier to support different screen sizes and resolutions. Designer Scripts Tutorial

- B4A-Bridge - now supports Bluetooth connections as well as wireless connections. http://www.b4x.com/forum/basic4andr...8-b4a-bridge-new-way-connect-your-device.html

- Java 7 JDK is supported.
- The logging system was improved and all error messages should now show in the filtered logs.
- List.SortType - new method that allows sorting items of custom types based on one of the type fields.
- Bug fixes and other minor improvements.

Notes
- Layout files created (or updated) with v1.90 are not compatible with previous versions.
- The designer and debugger require Android 2.0 or above. Compiled program are still supported by Android 1.6 or above.
- Always backup your work before opening a project with a beta version!

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Would it be possible, in a future version, to enforce dip where needed? Perhaps it could be an IDE setting option.

Example:
btn1.top = 35 (ide or compile would add (enforce) dip)

btn1.top = 35dip (ide or compile would not add dip - already exists)

As noted, text does not use dip.

Is there any other place where enforcing would not be a recommended practice?

Upvote 0

rfresh

Licensed User
Longtime User
So, for a given screen size, you recommend we code to 160 PPI only? Not 240 or 320?

I'm still a little confused on what our minimum screen resolutions should be that we should code to. And unless I'm getting mixed up, you've said we only need to worry about 160 PPI?

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Would it be possible, in a future version, to enforce dip where needed? Perhaps it could be an IDE setting option.
I thought about treating all numbers in the script as 'dip' values.
However it doesn't always work:
B4X:
Button1.Width = EditText1.Width / 2

So, for a given screen size, you recommend we code to 160 PPI only? Not 240 or 320?
Using scales different than 1.0 (160 dpi) can be quite confusing.
I recommend you to instead add the normalized variant which has a scale of 1.0.
You will then see that the variant of a phone with scale of 1.5 or 2.0 is pretty similar to a variant of a phone with scale of 1.0.

Upvote 0

ozgureffe

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks for the new version Erel,
It really going to solve lots of layout problems

But one thing I want to suggest :

I am new at b4a but wouldn't it be great if there was a feature like

• Landscape Layout Variant Script
  • Portrait Layout Variant Script

Keep up the good work...

Ozgureffe, you can use the layout variants feature to create scripts specific to a certain orientation.

We don't have to think about screen resolutions so much anymore with the help of Designer scripts.

There is only left "screen orientation" we must think about...

If my project supports both orientations, do I have to add all layout variants to my project then add same "variant specific script" to landscape (or portrait) ones.

Is it only way of using "designer scripts" with both orientations?

OR adding only two variants (one portrait, one landscape) and adding "
variant specific scripts" to this variants will work for all resolutions?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0