iOS Question 6.5-inch iPhone screenshots and IPad Pro is require

Humberto

Licensed User
Longtime User
Now apple require the screenshots with 6.5-inch iPhone and IPad Pro is required to approve.

We noticed that your screenshots do not sufficiently reflect your app in use.

Specifically, your 6.5-inch iPhone screenshots do not display the app in the correct device.

I don´t have those equipament, how to solve this ?

Attachments

• required.png
    required.png
    127.5 KB · Views: 1,094

f0raster0

Licensed User
Longtime User
cut and edit to make it fit.

it works, I usually do it way using my iPhone5.(2 weeks ago I updated one of my app, no problem)

it should work
1.png

copy any popular APP like Uber/Whatsapp

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Humberto

Licensed User
Longtime User
I attach the screens

I put some imagens from the process and the final.jpg

If you are using the desegner the Erel solution above is better

Attachments

• Cut_Paste.png
    Cut_Paste.png
    108 KB · Views: 303
  • final.jpg
    final.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 318
  • resize.png
    resize.png
    51.5 KB · Views: 293
Upvote 0

JackKirk

Licensed User
Longtime User
For anyone who is interested, I may have found another possibly bettter solution - well it worked for me any rate and is more in the spirit of what the Apple meisters are after - i.e. proof that the app works correctly on all iPhone models.

I discovered AWS Device Farm: https://aws.amazon.com/device-farm/

The only real hassle is setting up an AWS account if you don't have one.

Cost is USD0.17 / minute - about USD10 / hr - BUT you get the first 1000 mins (16 hours) FREE

It is incredibly easy to use - you could even do realistic app testing - e.g. you get complaints about your app not working on a specific device that you naturally don't have.

For iOS you just take the ipa out of ...\Objects\Archive.zip and paste it onto the device web page - 20 secs later you are running.

Images are quite small but a bit of Paint.Net fixes that.

It is not confined to iPhones - has heaps of Android devices also - so testing/troubleshooting on obscure devices becomes realistic.

Upvote 0

emexes

Expert
Licensed User
I usually download both pictures without background from Google then added the screenshoot of our App(iPhone5) using photoshop.
I've just now independently run into this same multiple-size screenshot issue, and I'm going to give this a go. The first problem I ran into was finding legit iphone background screenshots, but I think I've solved it by specifying the size in Google's image search (click on Tools, then Size, then exactly 1242x2688 or whatever screen size you need):

upload_2019-5-8_2-14-30.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0

emexes

Expert
Licensed User
Another idea I had is a B4J program to take a bunch of screenshots and scale and paste them into a set of iPhone background screenshots, ie, automate the Photoshop process. The scaling would just be: trim the top and bottom of the screenshot, resize it until it fits the background screenshot either vertically or horizontally (and is smaller in the other dimension), then position it appropriately (I usually go for centered horizontally, or 60:40 top-bottom vertically).

Backup plan is a modified version of app that loads layout to an appropriately sized panel (ie > screen size), does the usual autoscaling, then writes that panel to a PNG. Nice thing about doing it this way is it'll take care of all the jaggies and fuzzies introduced by scaling up from a smaller screenshot.

But it's after 2am here and I'm out of caffeine, so... it can wait until daybreak.

Upvote 0

emexes

Expert
Licensed User
The first option in that link looks good - looks like a web based simulator ... I shall investigate it more.
Did you get a B4I app running in that simulator? My plan is to unzip the .IPA out of the hosted-builder Archive.zip, then unzip that, then rezip the .APP tree to a .APP file, then try uploading that to the website. But I'm too tired right now to do it without making mistakes.

If you've already confirmed that it can (or can't) be done, that would be useful to know.

Regardless, it still looks like it could be another useful source of base/background iOS screenshot images, so... bonus!

Upvote 0

Marcus Araujo

Licensed User
Longtime User
For anyone who is interested, I may have found another possibly bettter solution - well it worked for me any rate and is more in the spirit of what the Apple meisters are after - i.e. proof that the app works correctly on all iPhone models.

I discovered AWS Device Farm: https://aws.amazon.com/device-farm/

The only real hassle is setting up an AWS account if you don't have one.

Cost is USD0.17 / minute - about USD10 / hr - BUT you get the first 1000 mins (16 hours) FREE

It is incredibly easy to use - you could even do realistic app testing - e.g. you get complaints about your app not working on a specific device that you naturally don't have.

For iOS you just take the ipa out of ...\Objects\Archive.zip and paste it onto the device web page - 20 secs later you are running.

Images are quite small but a bit of Paint.Net fixes that.

It is not confined to iPhones - has heaps of Android devices also - so testing/troubleshooting on obscure devices becomes realistic.

Thank you, JackKirk, it seems it is really useful, as you can choose your own devices to test (there are many available, with different OS versions, for both iOS and Android).

I set up a 'fuzz' test (Amazon doing "random" tests) with three selected devices for 5.5", 6.5" and 12.9" screens (iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone XS Max and iPad Pro).

But unfortunately I could not get any screen shots, only the video. It says 'No screenshots found'.

UPDATE: I tried a remote connection and found out that you can later download the video and use VLC at 100% size to capture the pictures. It created me a 720x1558px "screen shot" for an iPhone XS Max (6.5" screen). Apple requires a size of 1242x2688px (portrait). I also spent 2 minutes of my free quota on it to get basic screen shots. Not bad.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JackKirk

Licensed User
Longtime User
UPDATE: I tried a remote connection and found out that you can later download the video and use VLC at 100% size to capture the pictures. It created me a 720x1558px "screen shot" for an iPhone XS Max (6.5" screen). Apple requires a size of 1242x2688px (portrait). I also spent 2 minutes of my free quota on it to get basic screen shots. Not bad.
For image manipulation I thoroughly recommend the free Paint.net app - in functionality somewhere between the old Windows Paint applet and Photoshop:

https://www.getpaint.net/

Upvote 0

JackKirk

Licensed User
Longtime User
But unfortunately I could not get any screen shots, only the video. It says 'No screenshots found'.
As you have found, you have to use the "Remote Access" tab to get screen shots directly.

Alternatively you could create screen shots from the videos produced - with whatever quality degradation that causes.

Upvote 0