B4J Question A cheap - or better - free host where to run a B4J program - anyone ?

semar

Licensed User
Longtime User
Dear all,

is there any remote cheap or (better) free host provider, where is possible to run a B4J .jar on it ?

Just out of curiosity: where do you run your B4J applications ?

Tips and suggestions are more than welcome,

Sergio

semar

Licensed User
Longtime User
Danke Alexander !
Actually I have a host provider which hosts my website (well, a w.i.p. one on strato.de) and there is also a MySql database at my disposal. The question, in order to reach the database from within the B4J application, are special requests to be met, or it would work "out of the box" providing a valid connection string ?

Upvote 0

BillMeyer

Licensed User
Longtime User
That is very cheap for that VPS - My server (Full hosted Win Server - similar spec - running 2x Xeons) costs me (R 1800) per month - about 106 Euro's, but I have a 99.8% uptime contract with 5x public IP's and am free to do with it what I want.

Upvote 0

Alexander Stolte

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
My MySQL database is on Amazon RDS, Because i dont want 4 extra vps for the database backend. The vps are connected via a loadbalancer. Yes you can host a mysql Server on a. Different Server, but you Need Good Firewall rules IP forward etc.

Upvote 0

Kiffi

Licensed User
Longtime User
I mean, if the B4J App resides on contabo, and the MySql on strato.de, can the B4J App connect to the MySql database ?
you can also move your MySQL-Database to contabo (as well as possible existing websites, etc.).

Upvote 0

semar

Licensed User
Longtime User
Ok, I think I will follow the contabo route. Now I need some help about configuration. Is it easy to install a B4J Application on a linux server, or should I take a windows server instead ?

Which client/console do I need in order to connect to it ?

Are special tools required for a B4J installation on a linux VPS ?

Upvote 0

Alexander Stolte

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Is it easy to install a B4J Application on a linux server
Yes, for me, but where I started with ubuntu it was very hard for me since I came from windows server.

or should I take a windows server instead
On a Windows Server you pay for the lincence and do not get full performance with most providers, as with ubuntu where you have no license costs.

Which client/console do I need in order to connect to it ?
For all commands, i recommend Putty (SSH) and for file transfare dont use FTP, because there is no "S" in the name and the "S" stands for Secure. I use for file tranfers on my VPS's WinSCP (Thanks to @alwaysbusy for this tip in one of a comment in the Forum), with WinSCP you Upload and Download files over SSH and this is safe because it is encrypted (SSH = Secure Shell)

Are special tools required for a B4J installation on a linux VPS ?
No, B4J (B4A, B4I and B4R) are Windows programs, but if you want to run the .jar file then you need the java jre.
You can install it with the following command:
B4X:
sudo apt install default-jre

Upvote 0

Don Oso

Licensed User
Longtime User
Vultr or DigitalOcean had very cheap plans, and you can install for free Plesk ( Cpanel Clone ), with that manager you can install Java, PhpMyAdmin, the recomended solution its migrate your database to your new VPS.

upload_2019-3-5_12-39-8.png

upload_2019-3-5_12-42-50.png

https://www.vultr.com/?ref=7175481

Also you can install free Webmin an Cpanel like webadmin. for your server

upload_2019-3-5_12-47-40.png

https://www.vultr.com/?ref=7175481

Im using NJ New York Datacenter no problems after more than 1 year of uptime.

Javier

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OliverA

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
For all commands, i recommend Putty (SSH) and for file transfare dont use FTP, because there is no "S" in the name and the "S" stands for Secure. I use for file tranfers on my VPS's WinSCP
If you really like command line tools, Putty will come with scp, a secure copy command that works over SSH.
Also you can install free Webmin
++ for Webmin. 1) I'm often too lazy to use the command line. 2) I get my morning reports letting me know if any updates need to be performed. 3) It's written in Perl and I'm a sucker for Perl (vs Pascal - hates me, Lisp - makes my brain hurt, Objective-C - makes my brain melt, Python - Perl was first).

Upvote 0